Welsh baccalaureate and medicine?! Need urgent help

Watch
mass_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm an AS level student in Wales. I currently study Biology, Chemistry, Maths (with stats) and History, as well as the Welsh Baccalaureate. This week our school is having th eopportunity to drop Welsh Baccalaureate (as it is now compulsory in Welsh schools) based on GCSE grades and job prospects. I'd be able to drop the subject as I received 11A's and 1A at GCSE and hope to study medicine. I really have no idea as to whether I drop the subject, as I have heard that it is useful in regards to UCAS points and some universities apparantly (please clarify this for me however) accept Welsh Baccalaureate as an Alevel offer. At the moment I'm not finding the work load of welsh bacc too much but very boring and feel as though the work is super pointless, which in a way is making me question how on earth unis will accept it, as it is no where near as engaging or challenging or subject like compared to my other AS levels. In terms of periods, it takes up 3, leaving me with only 3 study periods, if i was to drop id have 6. In all honesty atm i dont really use my free periods usefully, but now we can leave school site, is it worth getting three extra free periods. Most importantly should I keep welsh Bacc, because loads of people say its an 'easy A' to get. next year i intend of dropping history, in terms of alevels, would maths, chem, biol and welsh bacc be too much?

thanks xo
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
PurpleFireQueen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! As a fellow Welsh student (in year 13) Welsh Bac is useful because of the ymchwiliad unigol / individual research project, which is apparently similar to the EPQ. It's a 3-5 thousand word essay that you have to do, which can be favourable (apparently) since it shows a dedication to your subject. It's also now accepted as a complete A-level, and apart from the project there's only 3 other 'units' so to speak, which are relatively easy.

In terms of work - I'm currently doing physics, maths, economics and Bac, but it's more than likely I will be done with the whole subject by christmas. Since you rarely have homework for Bac as well, it doesn't eat into your other homework time much. At the end of the day it's up to you, but I'll happily answer any more questions that you might have!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.92%
I'm not sure (31)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.22%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (311)
47.05%

Watched Threads