Turn on thread page Beta

Is it discrimination to decline a place on a trip due to religious beliefs? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was intending to go on a trip to South Africa, however the teacher declined me a place on the trip due to my religion as he said I won't fit in with the conservative christians that live there and I may spurt out into an argument telling them that homosexuality doesn't mean someone goes to hell. I'm not sure what to do since I was really looking forward to go on this trip. SHould I speak to him again and tell him that my beliefs won't affect my presence there or should I just let it be and forget it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The situation you describe would be discrimination, yes, but I find it difficult to believe any teacher would say that (not least because it makes no sense).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    I was intending to go on a trip to South Africa, however the teacher declined me a place on the trip due to my religion as he said I won't fit in with the conservative christians that live there and I may spurt out into an argument telling them that homosexuality doesn't mean someone goes to hell. I'm not sure what to do since I was really looking forward to go on this trip. SHould I speak to him again and tell him that my beliefs won't affect my presence there or should I just let it be and forget it?
    How does your teacher know that you will argue about homosexuality? If you really want to go talk to him again. Otherwise if not, just leave it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    Where are you planning to go - into some Christian sect or something. Homosexuality is rife in South Africa - Cape Town is one of the gayest cities on earth and also one of the greatest.

I suspect you are going to do some volunteer work and your rather strident views will upset the local tribes - in which case your teacher was right. You are invited into their community and have to abide by their customs however distasteful you may find them. Your role is not to convert but to learn and listen

ReputationRep:
    What is this thing? It not only sounds like discrimination but outright stupid. However, if it is the case that this is some sort of project possibly charity related, then I guess it is fair for them to look for certain traits in the people they send down.

ReputationRep:
    What is your religion, OP?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.