The Student Room Group

Quarks - AS Physics HELP

I have a six mark question asking

(i)Describe the three quark model of hadrons
(ii)The three quark model originated from a theory that explained the properties of baryons and mesons. Show that the three-quark model explain-1s why there are just four charged mesons

FOr the three model i was thinking just to describe baryons and how they have a total mass of 1 and how these combinations can lead to a charge of 1, 0 or 0 or -1.

However I'm not sure how to relate 3 quark models to mesons since they have only 2 mesons. I know that the 4 charged mesons are K+ , K0 , K- and anti kaons but how does this relate to the 3 quark model...
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Two types of hadrons - baryons and mesons. Baryons (proton and neutron are the stable ones) consist of quark triplets. Mesons combine a quark with an antiquark. Quarks don't exist on their own.

Well you can only have a colourless hadron (i.e. the only hadrons observed in nature) either by having 3 quarks or 3 antiquarks, or a quark anti-quark pair. If you know a little group theory, you can see this is the only possible by combining 3 SU(3) tensors together or an SU(3) tensor and its SU(3) "anti-tensor" (i.e. you get a singlet which is the hadron, the other combinations do not relate to anything physical).

These are some of the answers I got.
A charged meson consists of a combination of two quarks (one of which is an antiquark) which results in an overall charge of +1 or -1. There are only four combinations which apply.

Quick Reply

Latest