The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance undergraduate applications 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CallumJSC
Surreys now my first choice actually! Decided I prefer it to Warwick :biggrin: What accommodation would you recommend?I want a nice quiet place to stay (or most quiet) which is relatively near to the business block - don't mind about the trains or anything, more bothered about parties and such

Hi Callum, University of surrey is my first choice too and i need A*AB to study A&F. What is your conditional offer? I would bee looking at Band C-D accommodation, wbu? And did you choose the 3 years or 4 years course?
Hi everyone,
As grades ,Dist*,Dist*, A, D in Business Studies, IT, Chinese and Maths
Predicted grades: Dist*, Dist*, A, B
Course applied for: Accounting and Finance (Bsc hons and 3 years course)
Universities applied: Surrey, Southampton, Kent, Nottingham and Hull
Final decisions have made: Firm choice: Surrey... Insurance choice: Hull
Surrey-conditional offer: Dist*AB
Hull- given an unconditional if put as firm choice but decided to put it as my insurance, so it's a conditional and i would need 112 Tariff points.
Good luck !!
Original post by yauzzy04
Hi Callum, University of surrey is my first choice too and i need A*AB to study A&F. What is your conditional offer? I would bee looking at Band C-D accommodation, wbu? And did you choose the 3 years or 4 years course?

my offer is AAB for Surrey
Reply 83
Original post by yauzzy04

My conditional offer is AAB, might be because I'll have 5 AS by the end possibly? And I'm not entirely sure about what band I'll pick yet but will look into it soon :biggrin: - will pick a relatively quiet (if there is one) middle price location. I picked the 4-year course as I want to do the placement. One of the reasons why I prefer Surrey over Warwick.
Original post by Deeeeee
Sameee. There'll definitely be many applications per place. Could only hope for the best. What were you AS like?

Quite bad i got BCDE. But already got 4 offers so there must of been something they liked about my application.
Reply 85
Original post by negatron
Quite bad i got BCDE. But already got 4 offers so there must of been something they liked about my application.

I haven't gotten any offer or reply so far. Predicted A*AA, achieved 3A's and C in AS. Maths economics geography and chemistry respectively
My conditional offer is AAB, might be because I'll have 5 AS by the end possibly? And I'm not entirely sure about what band I'll pick yet but will look into it soon :biggrin: - will pick a relatively quiet (if there is one) middle price location. I picked the 4-year course as I want to do the placement. One of the reasons why I prefer Surrey over Warwick.

Do Warwick not offer placement years ?
Reply 87
Original post by TaraMott
Do Warwick not offer placement years ?

When I went to the talk at Warwick, I found out only about 7 people or something went on the placement year out of about 150 students. I don't really believe the placement year is a big part of the Warwick course, I imagine a lot of students there would rather only spend 3 years in UNI. So they do offer it, just not to the extent other UNIs do I believe :smile:

This is from my information though which I got told by a student and the lady speaking, so I might have been misinformed.
When I went to the talk at Warwick, I found out only about 7 people or something went on the placement year out of about 150 students. I don't really believe the placement year is a big part of the Warwick course, I imagine a lot of students there would rather only spend 3 years in UNI. So they do offer it, just not to the extent other UNIs do I believe :smile:

This is from my information though which I got told by a student and the lady speaking, so I might have been misinformed.

This is making me re-think my choices now. I was planning on firming Warwick then Surrey as insurance with the hope of a placement at either one.
Reply 89
This is making me re-think my choices now. I was planning on firming Warwick then Surrey as insurance with the hope of a placement at either one.

Warwick UNI as a whole was amazing :biggrin: I'm still certain you can do a placement there - I personally found it alarming the majority don't but I'm sure they have their reasons. Don't let my information put you off. Do some research yourself to make sure because I may have been told incorrectly at the talk. Plus my opinions might be different to yours, you might love what Warwick offers!

My original choice was gonna be Warwick firm then Surrey second, I still think that's a good decision :smile:
Warwick UNI as a whole was amazing :biggrin: I'm still certain you can do a placement there - I personally found it alarming the majority don't but I'm sure they have their reasons. Don't let my information put you off. Do some research yourself to make sure because I may have been told incorrectly at the talk. Plus my opinions might be different to yours, you might love what Warwick offers!

My original choice was gonna be Warwick firm then Surrey second, I still think that's a good decision :smile:

Yh, I emailed Warwick asking a couple questions about their placement years.
A couple things I liked about Surrey were that they offer a semester abroad to study in your 2nd year which was different to most Uni's who only offer that if you spend the whole year abroad. I also liked the fact that they focus a little less on coursework compared to exams. Still have time till may though, plenty of thinking to do.
Reply 91
Yh, I emailed Warwick asking a couple questions about their placement years.
A couple things I liked about Surrey were that they offer a semester abroad to study in your 2nd year which was different to most Uni's who only offer that if you spend the whole year abroad. I also liked the fact that they focus a little less on coursework compared to exams. Still have time till may though, plenty of thinking to do.

Would appreciate it if you show me Warwick's response :biggrin: Interested in knowing how a different person responds
Would appreciate it if you show me Warwick's response :biggrin: Interested in knowing how a different person responds

Definitely will do, as soon as they reply 🤓
Reply 93
Definitely will do, as soon as they reply 🤓

Thank you! :biggrin:
Thank you! :biggrin:

This was their reply so it does explain why few people take a placement I guess.
Reply 95
This was their reply so it does explain why few people take a placement I guess.

Yeah basically what they told me a bit - I'm still a bit unsure though on the exact different between their work placement and others and also why so few students go on one? Maybe it's because other UNIS provide more support with finding a placement or something?
Yeah basically what they told me a bit - I'm still a bit unsure though on the exact different between their work placement and others and also why so few students go on one? Maybe it's because other UNIS provide more support with finding a placement or something?

Correct, in most uni's, the student is mostly responsible for finding placements but the help that they get through this process I guess indicates how many people try and find one. I'm probably still going to firm Warwick them Surrey as insurance, never know till may though
Reply 97
Correct, in most uni's, the student is mostly responsible for finding placements but the help that they get through this process I guess indicates how many people try and find one. I'm probably still going to firm Warwick them Surrey as insurance, never know till may though

Thanks for showing me the letter :smile: and Warwick looked SO good so it probably would be great there.
Interesting reading about all these universities. I achieved ACCC at AS in Economics, Maths and History (+general). Although originally seeming like a huge mess up, I was predicted ABBB and I still received 5 offers from, Loughborough, Newcastle, UEA, Kent (Accounting + Economics) and NTU. Really undecided on UEA or Newcastle as a firm as i believe AAB (Newcastle, is a stretch despite my lack of effort at AS. Any advice on either Newcastle or UEA and their leniency on the offer come results day? thanks all
Hey guys!

I'm doing a BTEC ext. dip. in Business atm, and my AAT levels (last lvl 2 exam next week and start lvl 3 in March). Here's where I applied and what I received:
1st - Manchester Met - unconditional for acc. and fin.
2nd - Birmingham City - waiting on their response for MAcc acc. and fin.
3rd - Liverpool JM - conditional for acc. and fin.
4th - Uni of Westminster - conditional
5th - Uni of Reading - conditional

Quick Reply

Latest