Turn on thread page Beta

Will this extenuating circumstance still count at the time of my GCSEs? watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, my mother died of cancer on the 22nd of October. It was a very sudden thing for me - she was only diagnosed in June, at which point we were told she had a year to two (turned out to be less than five months) - so I didn't revise over the summer as I had planned. She was also in a coma during my holiday in which I was meant to revise for my mocks, so my school has already given my special consideration for those.
    My only concern is that this situation has had a big effect on me - I have anxiety attacks regularly, and while I don't have an eating disorder, I do find myself feeling incredibly ill when I think about eating, even if I'm hungry - and I'm not sure if this will still get me special consideration at the time of my exams.
    According to the JCQ guide to special consideration, bereavement will only cause special consideration if the death of a loved one occurs inside a six-month time-frame. My mum will have died six months ago exactly eight days after my final exam - will this still count, or is the time frame too large?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that. My mum has also got terminal lung cancer with not much time to live but I'm hoping that the chemo will expand her life span a bit longer. Please stay strong and do the best that you can in your GCSE's - I'm also trying to cope.

I'd ask my form tutor to refer me to someone who's involved with the exam planning in your school so that you can get more details/concrete detail on if you are eligible for extenuating circumstances or not, but I still think that it will count.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid it won't. The special consideration process only really covers events over the period of the exams themselves and the time immediately leading up to them. Even when it is applicable the maximum increase available is 5% so it is never really going to affect things massively. That said, no one would expect you to unaffected by your sad circumstances and I am sure your current school would be able to talk to any 6th form you are applying to to explain how you've been affected and it could also be put in any future university reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilent)
    I'm really sorry to hear that. My mum has also got terminal lung cancer with not much time to live but I'm hoping that the chemo will expand her life span a bit longer. Please stay strong and do the best that you can in your GCSE's - I'm also trying to cope.

I'd ask my form tutor to refer me to someone who's involved with the exam planning in your school so that you can get more details/concrete detail on if you are eligible for extenuating circumstances or not, but I still think that it will count.
    Thank you so much! I have an appointment with a careers adviser when I can mention it, but it's on the 17th, so ...
    I'm sorry to hear about your mum, too. If you ever need anyone to talk to who knows what you're going through, my inbox is always open. Just to warn I'm not the best at replying quickly ... should probably get to work on that ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I'm afraid it won't. The special consideration process only really covers events over the period of the exams themselves and the time immediately leading up to them. Even when it is applicable the maximum increase available is 5% so it is never really going to affect things massively. That said, no one would expect you to unaffected by your sad circumstances and I am sure your current school would be able to talk to any 6th form you are applying to to explain how you've been affected and it could also be put in any future university reference.
    Okay, thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to talk to my school about it and see what they say.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.