The Student Room Group

Tricky Laplace

Hi.

But I am concerned it does not answer the question, can anyone help in this regard please?

It is not of the same form, I think I have proved the general term, but not what the question has stated fully :/

-nomad609
(edited 7 years ago)
As you are definitely the expert on vector calculus on here, I wondered if I could check something with you?

Spoiler

Original post by TeeEm
Nothing wrong with this approach.

From a teaching point of view, most universities rarely cover grad/div/curl derivations in other coordinate systems and therefore the method you suggest is not seen/taught.To be fair, Cambridge went straight (in the 1st term!) to general curvilinear coordinate derivations, including some pretty confusing discussion of contra/covarient values which I think left most of us feeling very unsure of our footings in this area. Once we realised that in the exams it would only ever be cylindrical/spherical life became somewhat easier!
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
As you are definitely the expert on vector calculus on here, I wondered if I could check something with you?

Spoiler

I had the same problem with the notation, thank you for posting this lol :smile:
Original post by DFranklin
To be fair, Cambridge went straight (in the 1st term!) to general curvilinear coordinate derivations, including some pretty confusing discussion of contra/covarient values which I think left most of us feeling very unsure of our footings in this area. Once we realised that in the exams it would only ever be cylindrical/spherical life became somewhat easier!

Oh! Those were the days...I still feel the pain now.
Original post by Gregorius
Oh! Those were the days...I still feel the pain now.
Though part of me is disappointed at never having actually solved a problem involving, say, prolate spheroidal coordinates.

A very small part of me, to be clear...

Quick Reply

Latest