what a level do i need to take to become a pilot?

Watch
I.khattak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so I'm currently in my final year of school and its my passion to become a pilot so i ask what courses should i take in college to become a pilot
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by I.khattak)
so I'm currently in my final year of school and its my passion to become a pilot so i ask what courses should i take in college to become a pilot
Are you hoping to become a commercial pilot or a military pilot?

https://nationalcareersservice.direc.../airline-pilot explains the standard pathways for commercial airline pilots
rajanvara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by I.khattak)
I'm in year 13 with the same goal. I've done some research and found that most flight schools don't have specific requirements for application. (Unless, you're completely set on a uni/college course) Although, they do prefer the normal ones, i.e. maths and physics
RS012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rajanvara)
I'm in year 13 with the same goal. I've done some research and found that most flight schools don't have specific requirements for application. (Unless, you're completely set on a uni/college course) Although, they do prefer the normal ones, i.e. maths and physics
Computer Science is pretty good as well i have heard
rajanvara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RS012)
Computer Science is pretty good as well i have heard
Yeah, those kinds of subjects are always desired
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A friend of mine is at Bucks Uni for air transport w/ commercial flight training, got in with an extended BTEC in IT.

A levels aren't really what you need, what you need is loads of money..
rajanvara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
A friend of mine is at Bucks Uni for air transport w/ commercial flight training, got in with an extended BTEC in IT.

A levels aren't really what you need, what you need is loads of money..
Not really.... To enrol in a flight school you need at least 3 a levels. Not complete sure you'd need to do it at uni but you'd waste time.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no actual degree to become a pilot. There are degrees in conjunction with the pilot training but you then have to pay the tuition fees (covered by student finance) plus the flying fees (not covered by student finance). The cheapest option appears to be to go to a flying school where you are looking at upwards of £60k.There is no cheaper option.
cleggj88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
maths, further maths, physics and computer science
Hehetry
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Am doing economics maths and IT
Andrew001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do, further maths, pure maths and physics. What you actually need is your high school's diploma that you graduated from. A levels/ Igcses are not entry requirements, so dont worry.
Hehetry
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you mean
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Basically STEM subjects
Rian Cleary
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can go in through the RAF.
Yeahwhat
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can train you on my RC plane
EasyjetDropout
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rajanvara)
Not really.... To enrol in a flight school you need at least 3 a levels. Not complete sure you'd need to do it at uni but you'd waste time.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I’m studying with airways aviation in oxford on a 18 month intergrated course, £89000 just for some more info and honestly all they want is gcse’s, they do their own in house assessments anyway so if you have the skills to become a pilot they can spot that in the skills exam, but it is fair to say some background knowledge in aviation, maths and physics wouldn’t go amiss. Also please please please make sure you do a taster flight or start working towards your ppl (private pilots licence) before you begin training, mostly because it’s costs about £1000 for your medical and your assessments and then a £3000 deposit to hold your place and then an extra £25000 a month before you commence ground school (the bit the ducks, eg 8-3:30 Monday-Friday, for 9 months) hope all of this helps, it’s a long old process to get into a school and you do need to be dedicated and it is a lot of money but if you wanna do it enough then you can. If you have any more questions feel free to dm me, i’d Be happy to help on stuff like what flight schools to choose or even if you want some advice with funding
Purmerend
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An A-Level in deep pockets apparently!
Purmerend
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rian Cleary)
You can go in through the RAF.
Yes and be tied down to a commission of 12 years. Not ideal if you want to go straight into commercial flying.

Also, pilots in the RAF don't get any kind of pilots license that would allow them to fly commercial airplanes. They have to complete a course upon discharge.
EasyjetDropout
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Purmerend)
Yes and be tied down to a commission of 12 years. Not ideal if you want to go straight into commercial flying.

Also, pilots in the RAF don't get any kind of pilots license that would allow them to fly commercial airplanes. They have to complete a course upon discharge.
Yeah there’s a couple RAF conversions going on at AA they’re paying like £30000
Purmerend
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EasyjetDropout)
Yeah there’s a couple RAF conversions going on at AA they’re paying like £30000
Ouch! I wonder if the RAF will pay for this through resettlement :curious:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (167)
24.89%
Better than expected (139)
20.72%
Worse than expected (365)
54.4%

Watched Threads