Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically ive recieved my alevel grades and didnt the grades i expected. I was hoping for CC in law & business & a D in ICT (this is coz the course was messed up) & i got DDE. I got a place at my firm university as the offer was unconditional but I want to improve my grades but dont want to go back to 6th form. So i was wondering how would i go about becoming a private candidate and resitting a few modules in january? Only 2 1 in law & 1 in business the ones in which i recieved a U. Any help plzz? Im looking all over the net but having no luck.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on your uni workload. Chances are that devoting time to A levels while you're at uni is going to be detrimental to your degree course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    It really depends on your uni workload. Chances are that devoting time to A levels while you're at uni is going to be detrimental to your degree course.
    I know it does, but you didnt answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fℓσωєя379)
    I know it does, but you didnt answer my question.
    I don't know whether this will be much help to you but I had a quick search on google and found this:

http://www.ool.co.uk/Alevel/LawALevel.htm
    http://www.ool.co.uk/Alevel/BusinessStudiesALevel.htm

They would only be suitable if you were to take the whole course again, I think.
    You'd need to specify which exam boards you were with for people to help you out. Perhaps you could get in touch with the 6th form you studied at previously and ask them about studying from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smellslikepie)
    I don't know whether this will be much help to you but I had a quick search on google and found this:

http://www.ool.co.uk/Alevel/LawALevel.htm
    http://www.ool.co.uk/Alevel/BusinessStudiesALevel.htm

They would only be suitable if you were to take the whole course again, I think.
    You'd need to specify which exam boards you were with for people to help you out. Perhaps you could get in touch with the 6th form you studied at previously and ask them about studying from home.
    Thanks but i dont want to do the whole course again i just want to redo 1 module from law & 1 from business in january. Thanks anyway. Both law and business are with AQA i checked the website but theres information on there about 2006-2007 becoming a private candidate not 2007/2008.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fℓσωєя379)
    Thanks but i dont want to do the whole course again i just want to redo 1 module from law & 1 from business in january. Thanks anyway. Both law and business are with AQA i checked the website but theres information on there about 2006-2007 becoming a private candidate not 2007/2008.
    Well, I've just had a read through it and, to be honest, I can't imagine the information for 07/08 being much different from 06/07. It's basically telling you that you must find a centre and ask them if they'll accommodate you for your exams. The chances are they'll say yes if they're entering their pupils for the courses you're interested in. So if you get in touch with the sixth form you were with previously then you've got a good chance of them allowing you to study as a private candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smellslikepie)
    Well, I've just had a read through it and, to be honest, I can't imagine the information for 07/08 being much different from 06/07. It's basically telling you that you must find a centre and ask them if they'll accommodate you for your exams. The chances are they'll say yes if they're entering their pupils for the courses you're interested in. So if you get in touch with the sixth form you were with previously then you've got a good chance of them allowing you to study as a private candidate.
    Thanks for that, so would i have to decline my grades for law and business and then call my 6th form to ask if I can study as a private candidate which is basically when i go to uni & when its january they declare me for the module resits that i want to do & do my alevel exams there, is that about right? & what about ICT i dont want to resit anything there so that grade stays the same right?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

You are going to have to ask the uni whether your offer would remain unconditional if you declined your grades as they are under they impression you are entering with A levels in those subjects and as you aren't you could be breaking terms and conditions and they may be able to withdraw their offer.

Re. Exams, you will just need to ask a centre to enter you for the exams before sometime in October as after the deadline the fees for the exams increase. You only decline the units you want to resit so your grade for ICT will be certified now and will remain the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    You are going to have to ask the uni whether your offer would remain unconditional if you declined your grades as they are under they impression you are entering with A levels in those subjects and as you aren't you could be breaking terms and conditions and they may be able to withdraw their offer.
    :ditto:
    Exactly what I wanted to say.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the replies, Il call the uni which im going to in september & find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Quite right. In fact, if he declines the grades he won't have any A levels and can't therefore accept the offer in the first place. When asked for his certificates he'll be severely embarrassed.

And what do you say on Monday morning? I'm going to leave as soon as I can get out of there and deprive someone else of the place!

Not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between 'CCD' and 'DDE' is, for all practical purposes, immaterial; and, where the subjects in question include 'Business Studies' and 'ICT', this will be more so. In any event, no prospective employer would ever hinge their decision on such a distinction, least of all in the presence of a relevant degree. Universities might; but, if you've no intention of re-applying, then that again signifies a moot-point.

So, in summary: I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother. Once you get your degree your A-levels will become virtually immaterial. People will look at your degree. It's not as if you had conditional offers to meet that you subsequently didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Quite right. In fact, if he declines the grades he won't have any A levels and can't therefore accept the offer in the first place. When asked for his certificates he'll be severely embarrassed.

And what do you say on Monday morning? I'm going to leave as soon as I can get out of there and deprive someone else of the place!

Not a good idea.
    Im a she btw, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just accept the grades and start your Uni career.
    You need a 'centre' to accept you, which is harder then it sounds.
    You will not be going to Uni if you reject these grades.... so like everyone else has said, forget it.
    Employees may consider your A Level grades, but less so when you have a 1st compared to someone with a lower degree grade.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand what everyones saying when they say to leave it, but what i dont understand is when i decline my grades & if i resit modules again & say that i dont get higer marks i get lower marks for eg, wouldnt my first marks still apply?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, you dont have to exactly decline any grades, just apply to resit the exams at your previous 6th form/college
    At my 6th form we were given forms in the envelope with our results to fill in if we wanted to resit any modules in january.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    As far as I'm aware, you dont have to exactly decline any grades, just apply to resit the exams at your previous 6th form/college
    At my 6th form we were given forms in the envelope with our results to fill in if we wanted to resit any modules in january.
    Your 6th form in probably way more organised than mine. They give us no help advice if we fail or want to resit. You just have to run around the whole school looking for someone to tell you waht to do & they keep telling you to go to someone else.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    But by doing that you have actually declined the grades. ie you won't get your certificate at the same time as usual - before christmas.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.