The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by f&#8467
I can understand what everyones saying when they say to leave it, but what i dont understand is when i decline my grades & if i resit modules again & say that i dont get higer marks i get lower marks for eg, wouldnt my first marks still apply?

I'm not sure - i would hope your first mark would count, but i'm almost sure someone in my year got lower, and had to keep the second mark - if you don't think your going to improve then don't resit the exam. Its a lot of money to waste (especially when your at uni).
Right, when I missed an exam they said I had to accept/decline the overall mark for the subject as it wa sthe end of my second year so had a full A Level.
You will not be going to Uni and retaking the exam. As soon as you accept the offer from Uni you have also accepted your grades for A Level. I am somewhat sure you cant retake exams after you have accepted the grade, which has to be declined within a week after you receive the results.
However at GCSE I retook and exam two years after doing it.
The bottom line is just drop it. You need to concentrate on Uni.
In Uni you have no second chances, so if you fail anything then the retake is capped at 40%.... so your A level results are insignificant. You got a place.
To get a centre to accept you as a private candidate then you normally have to attend the college etc, for them to get money out of you (via Local Education Association). I am finding it hard to explain...

Basically your grades are there to stay unless you retake year. You can not go to Uni and retake these exams.
I know one guy who said he taught himself A level Law but no one would submit him for the exam as he did not go to the college.
Reply 23
you can do it without the lessons, but the college has the right to charge more. Its not worth it really.
The person needs to get someone to submit him fo rthe exam - so school/college and which college is going to do that without money the few grands they get from LEA? It is not going to happen.
Reply 25
Schools are generally more accepting. There used to be specific centres for the exam boards that private candidates could sit exams at, set up by the exam boards... wonder if they still exist...
Reply 26
How much is it to retake? Per module?
Also - Becky_Sheffield are you sure that you have to decline the grade a week after you get your results? IE, this Thursday? I heard it was much later - maybe sometime in September.

And in response to OP. I spoke to my head of 6th form who verbally agreed I could do reatkes in Jan if i so desired. So your college is probably your best bet. But sounds as if though the Uni won't let you going by other people's responses.
Reply 27
if retaking at the same centre expect at least £15-20 a module to resit... although it could be more. Isn't it a week to consider a remark?
^ I think you have until around September 13th to decline grades. At my college anyway.
I cant remember was a few years ago.
The original poster will be allowed to sit in the exam hall of the local school, gym etc, but he needs to be entered for the exam by an educational insitution like a college or school, he can not enter himself.... as far as I know. As i said before thats what some guy I knew said.
Reply 30
Private candidates can enter themselves, thats why they are private candidates.
For me it would cost £37.90 per module at the college I went to with AQA :s-smilie:
Reply 32
double the normal cost it would seem - thats probably cheap by the way. I think my college charged closer to £100.
Reply 33
I done 14 exams and it cost around £500
Reply 34
Original post by f&#8467
I can understand what everyones saying when they say to leave it, but what i dont understand is when i decline my grades & if i resit modules again & say that i dont get higer marks i get lower marks for eg, wouldnt my first marks still apply?

I have always been told that when you resit its always the highest mark that counts.
Reply 35
kirstinx
I done 14 exams and it cost around £500

wow! about £35 a piece then?
Reply 36
Yea, they made a big profit on me:p::frown:
Reply 37
you had to do what you had to do i guess.
~Kirsty~
Private candidates can enter themselves, thats why they are private candidates.

I am sure an educational insitute has to enter you - like a college/school or someone like ICS .... which charge about £400.

O.P why not go and ask your college?
Reply 39
I know AQA do this:

If you go onto the exam boards website, search for private candidate, AQA have a list of centres which ALLOW private candidates. (its here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-CENTRES-06-07.PDF) For example this link gives you the guidance about being a private candidate - http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-GUIDE-06-07.PDF

Basically you contact the centre, they give you the charge for doing it (i've heard people been charged £30-40 per exam), you just need to supply the information you've asked for. Theres deadlines to work towards but these are outlined in guidance documents available on the exam board website.

Latest

Trending

Trending