The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Why does Greenwich uni have a bad rep

I would like to attend the uni in the near future but when i expressed this everyone reacted negatively from the top science students resting on 6a* or more to students hardly trying and refusing to go to univirsity at all. Even the teacher chuckled... I would love this uni as it is close to home and offers the course I would like (psychology) but it seems as if everyone is against this I just do not unerstand why. Where did this rep come from? I feel kind of upset as I was loooking forward to attending.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ValkyrieScythe
I would like to attend the uni in the near future but when i expressed this everyone reacted negatively from the top science students resting on 6a* or more to students hardly trying and refusing to go to univirsity at all. Even the teacher chuckled... I would love this uni as it is close to home and offers the course I would like (psychology) but it seems as if everyone is against this I just do not unerstand why. Where did this rep come from? I feel kind of upset as I was loooking forward to attending.

lol its a **** uni ranked in the 100's
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
oh well, goldsmiths it is.
Reply 3
I'm thinking of going to University of Greenwich next year because they have a High Achievement Scholarship which they will give you £2000 annually for a maximum of 3 years if you receive a ABB or above (or equivalent). I still think you should still consider Greenwich because the university is rising in terms of ranking and has a goal to be in the top 50 university in the future, which I think it will because it's in the centre of London so social life is apparently really good there and also the facilities and the campus are incredible so all they need to do is just improve teaching and accepting the correct students so that it doesn't let them down. To be honest if I were them I would raise the entry requirement a bit more as their entry requirement are still pretty low if I'm honest. I hope I changed your mind! :wink:

Here's the link for the scholarship if you don't believe me: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/finance/undergraduate/scholarships
Reply 4
Original post by ryan1901
I'm thinking of going to University of Greenwich next year because they have a High Achievement Scholarship which they will give you £2000 annually for a maximum of 3 years if you receive a ABB or above (or equivalent). I still think you should still consider Greenwich because the university is rising in terms of ranking and has a goal to be in the top 50 university in the future, which I think it will because it's in the centre of London so social life is apparently really good there and also the facilities and the campus are incredible so all they need to do is just improve teaching and accepting the correct students so that it doesn't let them down. To be honest if I were them I would raise the entry requirement a bit more as their entry requirement are still pretty low if I'm honest. I hope I changed your mind! :wink:

Here's the link for the scholarship if you don't believe me: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/finance/undergraduate/scholarships

with ABB, you can get into better unis in london such as queen mary lol
Reply 5
I don't know much about Greenwich, but If you want to go there it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Don't rush into anything though. Do some research and make a well-informed decision.
I am in a fairly unusual position where I can compare universities, and whilst I wouldn't **** off Greenwich like some of my friends would, I will say that the course content is very easy compared to other unis offering supposedly the same course... I switched from Greenwich to KCL (same course) and kept track of what my bestie is doing at Greenwich and our courses have diverged so significantly after less than 2 months that he's bored and hasn't even heard of the stuff that I'm studying.
I did REALLY like the lecturers though; more approachable and helpful compared to where I am now. If you're struggling it's easier to get help.
Reply 8
Original post by RachaelBee
I did REALLY like the lecturers though; more approachable and helpful compared to where I am now. If you're struggling it's easier to get help.

Was is last year when you changed university? Also why did you choose Greenwich first when you could've went to KCL anyway?
Reply 9
Original post by wifty
I don't know much about Greenwich, but If you want to go there it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Don't rush into anything though. Do some research and make a well-informed decision.

Are you studying at Greenwich? Could you tell me more about the university and is it getting any better?
I feel like ur search parameters for ur uni are proxmity and they do my course , nuff said XD

Was is last year when you changed university? Also why did you choose Greenwich first when you could've went to KCL anyway?

I couldn't have gone to KCL in the first place; I did a foundation year at Greenwich last year and decided to switch from biomedical science to pharmacology and molecular genetics this year. KCL has better facilities, is more research focused, has a good global ranking and to be honest the course actually challenges me.
I couldn't have gone to KCL in the first place; I did a foundation year at Greenwich last year and decided to switch from biomedical science to pharmacology and molecular genetics this year. KCL has better facilities, is more research focused, has a good global ranking and to be honest the course actually challenges me.

Well they should have,KCL is like one of the best universities in the UK. So are you doing foundation year again in KCL?
Well they should have,KCL is like one of the best universities in the UK. So are you doing foundation year again in KCL?

No, I scored well enough on my course at UoG to go into year 1 at KCL, I also realised my (legally!) drug addled brain totally misread your question last night and answered something you didn't ask before, sorry! I went to Greenwich partially because I wanted to do an accredited biomedical science course so I had the NHS as a fall back if a career in research didn't work out for me (then I remembered I hated working in the NHS and didn't care about accreditation and I wanted degree freedom), and partially because nobody else would accept me. Of my 5 choices 3 rejected me and due to illness I did horrendously in my A levels. I was working full time and teaching myself 3 out of 4 subjects which was hard enough, then I became ill and it was a long LONG road to recovery so by the time exams rolled around I was still a mess and I came out with CDdu. That's why I have a soft spot for Greenwich and one particular lecturer; they saw potential and gave me a chance after meeting me in person and put into an environment with supportive lecturers I did much better, I was still ill during term 1 but during term 2 I was on an up and smashed it!
I study at UoG and I personally love it. The vibe here is a lot better than some of the uni's in london. In my personal opinion ignore the snobbery, people who are going to 'russell groups' and looking down on you for not going to a russell group are only going to uni to appease their parents wishes. In truth half those people will not have a good experience at uni because they chose status over whats right for them. Thats what it comes down to, if its right for you and you like it you'll work a lot better. I study graphic and digital design and I can tell you the course is very very challenging and also extremely rewarding.
Original post by graphicatuog
I study at UoG and I personally love it. The vibe here is a lot better than some of the uni's in london. In my personal opinion ignore the snobbery, people who are going to 'russell groups' and looking down on you for not going to a russell group are only going to uni to appease their parents wishes. In truth half those people will not have a good experience at uni because they chose status over whats right for them. Thats what it comes down to, if its right for you and you like it you'll work a lot better. I study graphic and digital design and I can tell you the course is very very challenging and also extremely rewarding.

Very true, I went to a Russell group university this September and I withdrew. I was so scared to tell my parents but my parents were very supportive, I only chose the university because of their reputation, I didn't care if the course will be something I wanted to do but I hated it. I did computer science and I hated it, I was so stressed from the lectures and depression that I even considered wanting to kill myself at one point. Never choose a course you don't like, also go to open days so you know how student life will be because I never went to an open day and I regret it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to a top university, I'm just saying that you shouldn't pick a university because of their reputation but you also have to consider if the course you're taking is right for you that is something you want to do. But by all means if you're passionate about something you should definitely go to a Russell group university. I'm choosing university of Greenwich even though I can go to one of the top universities but they don't offer any courses that are more into networking mostly all Computer Science degrees which I get it but I'm not very passionate or very good at maths, but I am good with networking and technology and that's why I'm choosing a more suitable course for me that is Computer Systems & Networking BSc which I can't wait to do as not only will I enjoy the course better but also I can have social life. When I was in my previous university I was revising all day trying to catch up with lectures. Yeah I can earn more money if I took computer science degree but I will be more miserable so I'd rather have a decent paying job and degree than being miserable while getting more money.
Very true, I went to a Russell group university this September and I withdrew. I was so scared to tell my parents but my parents were very supportive, I only chose the university because of their reputation, I didn't care if the course will be something I wanted to do but I hated it. I did computer science and I hated it, I was so stressed from the lectures and depression that I even considered wanting to kill myself at one point. Never choose a course you don't like, also go to open days so you know how student life will be because I never went to an open day and I regret it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to a top university, I'm just saying that you shouldn't pick a university because of their reputation but you also have to consider if the course you're taking is right for you that is something you want to do. But by all means if you're passionate about something you should definitely go to a Russell group university. I'm choosing university of Greenwich even though I can go to one of the top universities but they don't offer any courses that are more into networking mostly all Computer Science degrees which I get it but I'm not very passionate or very good at maths, but I am good with networking and technology and that's why I'm choosing a more suitable course for me that is Computer Systems & Networking BSc which I can't wait to do as not only will I enjoy the course better but also I can have social life. When I was in my previous university I was revising all day trying to catch up with lectures. Yeah I can earn more money if I took computer science degree but I will be more miserable so I'd rather have a decent paying job and degree than being miserable while getting more money.

i did comp science at Westminster
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm just finishing my degree in Computer Science at Greenwich, I was doing Computer Systems and Networking but I failed it in my second year so they made me change . I dont like this university and I feel like I havent learnt anything , the teaching not good, im not interested in the course it boring and it just not a well regarded university they let anyone in no matter what grade you get in your A levels I wish that I went somewhere else
Original post by kaylababesxx
I'm just finishing my degree in Computer Science at Greenwich, I was doing Computer Systems and Networking but I failed it in my second year so they made me change . I dont like this university and I feel like I havent learnt anything , the teaching not good, im not interested in the course it boring and it just not a well regarded university they let anyone in no matter what grade you get in your A levels I wish that I went somewhere else

Wow, it seems you had a tough time. I am on my third year University doing Computer Science. I chose User Interface Design and Artificial Intelligence. Any idea and tips as to what to look for in third year? Just wondering...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending