The Student Room Group

Vegan/Vegetarian Recommendations Thread

For those of you who are vegetarian or vegan, I'm sure you know how difficult it can be going out for meals sometimes! But fear not, for here on TSR, we're creating a megathread, for all the best places to go and actually be able to have a choice of what to eat :mmm:

If you know of anywhere, near you or otherwise, that's good for vegetarians or vegans, simply let us know what city it's in, and what the place is called, and we'll add it to the list! Ideally add a little description of it, but that's entirely optional, and any place names you can contribute will still be amazing :h:

@minimarshmallow also found a website that will show you which restaurants do quorn! You can find it here.

Cambridge:
Rainbow Café
The Rainbow Cafe in Cambridge caters for veggie, vegan, and gluten-free alike, and advertises themselves to be the only restaurant in Cambridge that serves a totally vegetarian restaurant. They have a wide variety of starters, mains, and lunch options, and even an extensive list of deserts! You can check out their menu here.

Durham:
Jumping Bean Cafe
The Jumping Bean Cafe is tucked away in the streets of Durham, and offers lots of options for veggies, vegans, and gluten-frees, as well as having some very tasty desert options. As with the Rainbow Cafe listed above, it's totally vegetarian, and doesn't server any meat products at all. It's quite a small cafe, but makes up for it with a lovely atmosphere, and lots of board games stacked in the corner that you're free to play!

Treats
Treats is a coffee shop in Durham does veggie sausages with their veggie breakfast and brunches, and we also have it on good authority that their veggie burger is very good as well. They have 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, so you can't go too far wrong giving them a try! Check out their full menu here.

Nottingham:
Alley Café
The Alley Cafe in Nottingham is a vegetarian and vegan cafe bar, which has a great variety of different meals, whatever your product restrictions are, and they even have some gluten free options if you need them. Check out their menu here, and see if anything takes your fancy.

General Recommendations:
Wagamamas
Wagamamas has plenty of delicious vegetarian options on the menu, so you'll be spoilt for choice if you go there. They also have a dedicate vegan menu, which lists a number of dishes that are already suitable for you to eat, as well as a few that can be customised to your needs, if you ask for it to be vegan.

Pizza Hut
Of course, we all know that there are plenty of veggie options when it comes to pizza, so you won't be lacking for options there. But Pizza Hut also has a vegan menu, and does custom, made to order pizzas! For a full list of their vegan toppings, see here.

Pizza Express
Not only do Pizza Express have a dedicated vegan pizza, they also have a gluten free menu as well. Unfortunately, they don't have any vegan cheese, but you can ask for any of their pizzas to be made without cheese, or any other customisations that you require. And, of course, they are very suitable for vegetarians, with lots of veggie options.

Nando's
Despite being predominately a chicken based restaurant, Nando's actually has a number of scrummy veggie options, such as the mushroom and halloumi burger, and it even has some great vegan choices too. With the mains, this will mean asking for them without the dairy based ingredients, but you can still see a full list of what they serve here.

Wetherspoons
I imagine almost everyone will have heard of Wetherspoons, but they have a great variety of veggie options, including the superfood pasta, veggie burger, and a delicious quorn sausage and mash. They do have a habit of changing their menu from time to time, but there's always a good few choices on the list.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm gonna have to try a couple of these out! I'm not vegan or veggie at the moment, but I do want to explore it more and give it a go!
Reply 2
Nando's in Liverpool.

There are only a few veggie items on their menu, but the Tofu burgers are amazing!
Reply 3
Any Indian food place nearby will have a vast range of Vegetarian options. A lot of people in India are vegetarian, and their cuisine is not like any other vegetarian food you'll find. It's unique in it's own way- with various tastes, spices, textures, etc. Theres something for everyone. Most indian vegetarian food will not contain eggs, however a lot of Indian vegetarian food will contain milk-based products, such as yoghurt, cheese, and butter.

Source: I'm an Indian :tongue:
Original post by Saphire24
Nando's in Liverpool.

There are only a few veggie items on their menu, but the Tofu burgers are amazing!

Added to the list! :ahee:
Wetherspoons generally have some good options for us non meat eaters. I love the Superfood Pasta and their veggie burger as well. Excellent choice if your friends are avid meat eaters and won't eat veggie (I do have a few)! They also do a veggie sausage and mash that I know Shadowdweller has had in the past.

In Durham there is a lovely placed called Treats that does veggie sausages with their veggie breakfast and brunches. I also have it on good authority that their veggie burger is very good as well.

Also, I was looking for pictures for my food blog, launching Thursday, and there is a Quorn Finder, which searches restaurants that serve quorn. I was very impressed.
www.quorn.co.uk/restaurants/
Original post by minimarshmallow
Wetherspoons generally have some good options for us non meat eaters. I love the Superfood Pasta and their veggie burger as well. Excellent choice if your friends are avid meat eaters and won't eat veggie (I do have a few)! They also do a veggie sausage and mash that I know Shadowdweller has had in the past.

In Durham there is a lovely placed called Treats that does veggie sausages with their veggie breakfast and brunches. I also have it on good authority that their veggie burger is very good as well.

Also, I was looking for pictures for my food blog, launching Thursday, and there is a Quorn Finder, which searches restaurants that serve quorn. I was very impressed.
www.quorn.co.uk/restaurants/

Can confirm, the sausage and mash is amazing :love:

I'll add these to the list now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest