Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is better?
    I am more persuaded towards PGCE as this looks to be better structured, planned and looks less stressful, as well as been taught in lectures at university.

However, I am slightly torn towards the Schools direct approach? What is this like? I know it says you need '3 years experience', but is that 3 years experience in a school, 3 year experience at uni or anything else?!
    I know there is a salary option too (no loan which is given to you) and a non-salary option (You can get a loan), is that right?

Also, what does everyone prefer off previous experience?!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You only need three years of experience (in any career) to apply for the salaried School Direct route. The tuition-fee route does not have this requirement.

The structure of School Direct courses vary. Some involve you being in school four days a week and then one day a week at university. Others run pretty much the same as a university-led PGCE with block placements. It's best to identify School Direct course providers to which you would be interested in applying and finding out how they structure their course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierson)
    You only need three years of experience (in any career) to apply for the salaried School Direct route. The tuition-fee route does not have this requirement.

The structure of School Direct courses vary. Some involve you being in school four days a week and then one day a week at university. Others run pretty much the same as a university-led PGCE with block placements. It's best to identify School Direct course providers to which you would be interested in applying and finding out how they structure their course.

Brilliant thanks for the reply. So I am able to apply for the Tuition-fee route as I have not had 3 years experience ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardR21)
    Brilliant thanks for the reply. So I am able to apply for the Tuition-fee route as I have not had 3 years experience ?
    Yes, that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardR21)
    Which is better?
    I am more persuaded towards PGCE as this looks to be better structured, planned and looks less stressful, as well as been taught in lectures at university.
    To a certain degree, it comes down to pot luck. There are four routes:

- Teach First - can't speak for this route, but it sounds like hard work. Why make life even harder for yourself?
    - SCHITT - this is where the school assess you. You receive all your training in the school and are assessed by teachers at that school. Your training is also administered at the school. If you get a good school, you can't go wrong with this route as they should be kitted up for it.
    - University lead. For some reason everyone calls this the PGCE route even though SCHITT and School Direct often also get a PGCE at the end of it all (I will). You start in uni for a couple of weeks going over the basic before being allocated to a random school where you begin your training in earnest.
    - School Direct. My route. I thought this would be different to University led. However, I get all my pedagogy training through the university in the same classes as the university lot. The only difference is that I have a slightly different timetable (I spend some Friday's in school with the SCHITT lot) and I knew which school I would be going to because I applied direct. I feel rather privileged because being in a teaching school means the school have a real ethos of professional development. As a result there are frequent training sessions for all staff which we can access. There are also sessions with the SCHITT trainees which we also attend so get the best of both worlds. I don't think very much of the university sessions by comparison. They are somehow rather detached.

Each to their own though. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    To a certain degree, it comes down to pot luck. There are four routes:

- Teach First - can't speak for this route, but it sounds like hard work. Why make life even harder for yourself?
    - SCHITT - this is where the school assess you. You receive all your training in the school and are assessed by teachers at that school. Your training is also administered at the school. If you get a good school, you can't go wrong with this route as they should be kitted up for it.
    - University lead. For some reason everyone calls this the PGCE route even though SCHITT and School Direct often also get a PGCE at the end of it all (I will). You start in uni for a couple of weeks going over the basic before being allocated to a random school where you begin your training in earnest.
    - School Direct. My route. I thought this would be different to University led. However, I get all my pedagogy training through the university in the same classes as the university lot. The only difference is that I have a slightly different timetable (I spend some Friday's in school with the SCHITT lot) and I knew which school I would be going to because I applied direct. I feel rather privileged because being in a teaching school means the school have a real ethos of professional development. As a result there are frequent training sessions for all staff which we can access. There are also sessions with the SCHITT trainees which we also attend so get the best of both worlds. I don't think very much of the university sessions by comparison. They are somehow rather detached.

Each to their own though. Good luck!
    Brilliant thanks for that reply ! It's helped a lot!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.