Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtruck)
    Marriage pre-dates Christianity. The writings of the Greek philosopher Plato mention marriage there by showing the idea is not a Christian one originally.
    The idea of God or gods predates Christianity. And?

ReputationRep:
    Marriage pre-dates Christianity. The writings of the Greek philosopher Plato mention marriage there by showing the idea is not a Christian one originally.
    In the context of the UK, recently. Seriously, why on D&D do you have to clarify yourself in such a manner that you could be attempting to explain your opinions to a group of ****-throwing retarded monkeys? You all know what I meant, so stop being deliberately obtuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    so...?

ReputationRep:
    Marriage NEED NOT be a Christian thing. So, I don't see that some Christians don't think that homosexuals can marry as a sufficient reason for denying homosexuals the right to marry. Sure, they don't have to get married in a church, but gays should be allowed to get married in a registry office.

ReputationRep:
    so...?
    Fantastic reply. Make a point, expect it discussed. Someone makes the analogous and opposite point, and we get 'so...?'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    Marriage NEED NOT be a Christian thing. So, I don't see that some Christians don't think that homosexuals can marry as a sufficient reason for denying homosexuals the right to marry. Sure, they don't have to get married in a church, but gays should be allowed to get married in a registry office.
    Exactly. And it's not imo. That was the reasoning behind my earlier post.

ReputationRep:
    So...?

Annoying isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    so...?
    That was my question to you. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    Who was saying that? Nobody, stop being so bloody assumptious. We are simply questioning the way in which the term marriage is presently used, for both heterosexual and homosexual couples.

Perhaps I should clarify that I am in agreement with gay marriage/civil partnerships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    Fantastic reply. Make a point, expect it discussed. Someone makes the analogous and opposite point, and we get 'so...?'.
    I know. Crap wasn't it?

Marriage does not belong to Christianity simply because in Britain it enjoyed a (patchy) monopoly for a few hundred years. Pagans get married, Atheists get married, Muslims, and Hindus get married. It's pretty obvious that marriage does not 'belong' to Christianity and that it is not, more generally, an exclusively religious rite.

If soemone is going to attack gay marriage as a concept they are going to have to come up with something better than how Christians define marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Who was saying that? Nobody, stop being so bloody assumptious. We are simply questioning the way in which the term marriage is presently used, for both heterosexual and homosexual couples.

Perhaps I should clarify that I am in agreement with gay marriage/civil partnerships.
    I'm not making assumptions.

It seemed to be being offered as an argument that gays should not be allowed to have marriages because marriage is a Christian thing. But, marriage need not be (and often isn't) a Christian thing. That argument as such is inadequate.

If you weren't offering that argument, that's cool.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not making assumptions.

It seemed to be being offered as an argument that gays should not be allowed to have marriages because marriage is a Christian thing. But, marriage need not be (and often isn't) a Christian thing. That argument as such is inadequate.

If you weren't offering that argument, that's cool.
    I'm not agreeing with the argument, but I can see why people are against gay marriage, e.g. they have these arguments to fall back on and an entire parish to agree with. How often do you think this particular brand of Christian is told they're wrong :p:.

This is why I stopped going to Church, always full of such nasty petty people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)

Then Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on God. Then why is it allowed a monopoly on marriage? Anti-gay marriage sentiment voiced publicly has, in my experience, been about marriage being a Christian institution, something that therefore should not be open to gay couples.

That doesn't seem right to me when it isn't strictly the case. The notion that marriage predates Christianity DOES matter, because (bearing in mind we're officially a Christian country and all that), marriage somehow belonging to the religion is the first and formost excuse banded about by the anti-camp.

ReputationRep:
    It is a christian religious ceremony that specifically involves a husband to be and a wife to be.
    Incorrect, anyone who believes this has been misled.

We seem to have *******ised the word marriage to refer to any legally binding union between two people
    Other way around, the latter is the correct definition (although IMO I don't see why it should only be 2 people). Making it a hetero thing is the *******isation.

In the context of the United Kingdom, marriage has been a christian preserve for quite a while.
    A few hundred years is not 'quite a while' in the grand scheme of Great Britain's habitation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest, as to my understanding Civil Partnerships are legally basically equivalent to marriage.

I suppose I can see why the semantics might be an issue, but if I was homosexual and wanted to be 'married' as opposed to 'civil partnershipped', I would probably just call my arrangement a marriage and raise the traditional fingers of scorn to anyone who tried to correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryJL)
    I suppose I can see why the semantics might be an issue, but if I was homosexual and wanted to be 'married' as opposed to 'civil partnershipped', I would probably just call my arrangement a marriage and raise the traditional fingers of scorn to anyone who tried to correct me.
    Quite right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryJL)
    I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest, as to my understanding Civil Partnerships are legally basically equivalent to marriage.

As said, it's easy to say that as a straight person. Yes, call it a marriage yourself, if you like. But until society recognises it fully as a marriage, and not just the couple in question, it is not equality.

ReputationRep:
    But normal people DO recognise it as such, and homophobes never will. So I think whether the law does is moderately significant but in practical terms makes little difference.

ReputationRep:
    Which is why the state should not get involved in a private union between two people in the first place.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.