Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am studying maths chemistry and physics predicted A*A*A respectively. I initially wanted to do chemical engineering, however I feel that a maths degree looks more interesting. if I take Further maths in a gap year, what unis could I apply for. Because its not all in one sitting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgawd99)
    I am studying maths chemistry and physics predicted A*A*A respectively. I initially wanted to do chemical engineering, however I feel that a maths degree looks more interesting. if I take Further maths in a gap year, what unis could I apply for. Because its not all in one sitting?
    If you have an idea of what kind of universities you will apply to after gap year ask them to see if they're ok with it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You don't need FM to do maths at most universities. You would already be on target to meet the requirements for Bristol, for example.

ReputationRep:
    All unis, except London Metropolitan, they don't do maths.... or any decent subject or course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    All unis, except London Metropolitan, they don't do maths.... or any decent subject or course.
    Known as one of the worst universities right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You don't need FM to do maths at most universities. You would already be on target to meet the requirements for Bristol, for example.
    but wouldn't that mean you're missing out on a lot :? If It wasn't for the reformed A-levels, I would have picked up AS and A2
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    but wouldn't that mean you're missing out on a lot :? If It wasn't for the reformed A-levels, I would have picked up AS and A2
    Missing out on what? You'll cover FM topics, and more, in your first year in any university Maths course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Missing out on what? You'll cover FM topics, and more, in your first year in any university Maths course.
    oh ok yeah that makes a lot more sense.

ReputationRep:
    not many unis require further maths!
    they will cover it in the first year and you have amazing predictions so you will be sure to get in

ReputationRep:
    any uni you want to , could even give you an advantage over other applicants as you'll already have 3 high a level results hopefully.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As a first year myself after having done FM, the first year is MOSTLY just the A-Level FM with extra bits and bobs, alongside one or two modules where it's nothing that you've ever done before. Point being, you can indeed take a gap year and cover as much FM as possible, and this will make your transition much smoother - hence being recommended by unis for a maths course. Otherwise, if you think you can absorb FM content pretty well and pretty quickly, then don't do a gap year just for FM and go to uni straight away.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.