Turn on thread page Beta

Is this emotional abuse? Advice needed. watch

Where to start, I don't really know if this is emotional abuse, however I feel as though I need an in bias view on the situation someone impartial looking in on the situation. Ever since the age of eight on the way to school my dad would tell me that if I turned out like my mother or grandmother (on mums side) I would be hated because they are dominant women who hate men (not true just his lies) . He told me that it was my mums fault for the arguments and the fact that his career prospect were bleak. Everyday he said that it was my job to stop this cycle and make sure that I didn't argue with him or I would be hated and not loved.he told me that my mum use to hit him and that the only reason he stayed was to protect my brother and I. At eight I believed him in fact I enjoyed listening and engaging with the conversations saying how my mum was this and my mum was that, it pleased him and i was happy. But I hated my mum, I really did, I blamed her for everything but I was scared that if I argued or became dominant etc... I would be hated so I became shy and self conscious not wanting to displease anyone. This happened until year 7 where I began to get the school bus, and I don't know when my opinions started to change but one day I began to feel very ashamed that I enjoyed the conversations and guilty so I never told anyone until a couple of months ago. I feel like so many issues have stemmed from those journeys in the car, my anxiety etc... But when I try and address the issue with him he looks me in the face and tell me he would do it again, that I am slowly becoming a man hater and that I am a horrible person. I don't know what to do, he has been verbally abusive to me recently and the police have had to be involved, however i need help I feel like I am breaking inside.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Where to start, I don't really know if this is emotional abuse, however I feel as though I need an in bias view on the situation someone impartial looking in on the situation. Ever since the age of eight on the way to school my dad would tell me that if I turned out like my mother or grandmother (on mums side) I would be hated because they are dominant women who hate men (not true just his lies) . He told me that it was my mums fault for the arguments and the fact that his career prospect were bleak. Everyday he said that it was my job to stop this cycle and make sure that I didn't argue with him or I would be hated and not loved.he told me that my mum use to hit him and that the only reason he stayed was to protect my brother and I. At eight I believed him in fact I enjoyed listening and engaging with the conversations saying how my mum was this and my mum was that, it pleased him and i was happy. But I hated my mum, I really did, I blamed her for everything but I was scared that if I argued or became dominant etc... I would be hated so I became shy and self conscious not wanting to displease anyone. This happened until year 7 where I began to get the school bus, and I don't know when my opinions started to change but one day I began to feel very ashamed that I enjoyed the conversations and guilty so I never told anyone until a couple of months ago. I feel like so many issues have stemmed from those journeys in the car, my anxiety etc... But when I try and address the issue with him he looks me in the face and tell me he would do it again, that I am slowly becoming a man hater and that I am a horrible person. I don't know what to do, he has been verbally abusive to me recently and the police have had to be involved, however i need help I feel like I am breaking inside.
    It definitely sounds like you should talk to someone about this. Maybe school/college or your GP? You shouldn't be made to feel this way, especially by a parent. If the police are having to get involved, maybe you could talk to them for some advice?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.