• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hello! Today is National Stress Awareness Day and I figured I'd make a quick post about it. It's quite late though, sorry!

Stress is something really important, and something most of us will deal with at some point or another - often a lot. We may experience it at work, at home, or in study. It can be healthy in small doses, but there really is a limit as to what we can take. As adults, we grow to just brush it off as a normal thing and come to expect it, but there are ways to combat it. In fact, this is really a key way to stay healthy.

Mind are urging people to learn more about stress today, and to talk about it. Their top tips on dealing with stress are as follows:
    • Work out your triggers: Working out what triggers stress for you can help you anticipate problems and think of ways to solve them. Even if you can't avoid these situations, being prepared can help.
    • Change how you plan your time: For example, list things in order of importance, try not to do too much at once and plan lots of breaks.
    • Address some of the causes: There are probably lots of things in your life that you can't do anything about, there might still be some practical ways you could resolve or improve some of the pressures on you.
    • Try and accept some of the things you can't change: It's not easy, but accepting that there are some things happening to you that you probably can't do anything about might help you focus your time and energy more productively.

What you have to remember is that while common, stress can be difficult to deal with. It's okay to need help. Talk to your GP about support you can get, and any stress services in your area.

Do you have any tips you'd like to share about reducing and preventing stress?

ReputationRep:
    Great idea for a thread people often undermine how detrimental to one's health and wellbeing stress can be. It's no lie that ongoing and unmanaged stress is a killer. Ongoing stress can lead to all sorts of physical and mental conditions and it's best to nip it in the bud before it runs riot but it's easier said than done sometimes. A little stress in life is to be expected though and sometimes it can be helpful and get our job done but for many of us on MH section of TSR, we know all too well the consequences of prolonged stress.

I don't really have any personal tips on how I prevent stress as part of some of the conditions I have is constant worry, obsessions, being on edge and to prevent the high stress that comes with those illnesses, I'd have to find a cure for them and so far, no such luck. I do have some tips on managing stress though - stressed both caused by MH problems and also through every day life, especially recently as I did suffer from another stress and anxiety burnout.

What helps me when I'm stressed is -
    *talk to someone be it a stranger on TSR or anything MH related forum or my family, partner or friends

* delegate. Sometimes you have to put yourself first and when you are stressed or overworked, you sometimes take too much on and you have to realise that piling on more stuff isn't going to help and you need to know when to ask for help and to pass some errands onto others or just leave them until you are in a better state. I'm very bad for being one of those "every single thing has to be done before I can relax" kind of people but I now know how important it is to delegate or just leave the errand for the time being

*going out for a drive while listening to music. Sometimes just being in the house makes me feel trapped when I'm stressed and being outside helps me think clearly and often leads to me coming up with more logical solutions to my problems

*make a list of what is stressing me and rate it out of ten and make points of what I could do to change or help it. A lot of the time I'm worried about things that I can't control such as my papa's health so I think of ways I can help him or just help myself get through the worry

*cut out booze and caffeine while I'm at my most stressed. They seem like a help at first but they only lead to further stress on your body and give you a dodgy stomach, headaches, palpitations etc which only add to your stress

*going for a bath, going for a walk around the block while listening to music, colouring in and gaming are all other ways I try and de-stress or keep my stress at bay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Great thread. I always love it when people bring up things like this cos I never have any idea about all these awareness days and it's nice to spread the word.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh and I love the profile pic btw. That's stress relief in itself! :nyan:

My biggest tip is to get to know how you work and follow that. All these de-stressing tips didn't always work great for me but music did. Embracing that helped me realise that sounds can be a trigger for me at times and helped me to realise my problems with public transport. If I know i'm going into a possibly stressful situation I will take my noise canceling headphones and it really helps.
    It also applies to stress prevention too. Trying to follow a path that doesn't suit you can lead to huge stress issues. I tried my hardest to be a good student and do focused studying, but it never worked and just made me stressed out. At some point I realised that books don't work for me, but reading on my computer or watching educational vidios worked better for me. Shout out to TED talks btw. As soon as I embraced my learning style I noticed a massive improvement. Same applies to taking a subject you don't like cos you think it's better.

Also, never be embarassed to get support. Only you know how much stress you are under and if it's too much for you it's smarter and stronger to admit you need some help than to try to brave it all alone.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Great idea for a thread people often undermine how detrimental to one's health and wellbeing stress can be. It's no lie that ongoing and unmanaged stress is a killer. Ongoing stress can lead to all sorts of physical and mental conditions and it's best to nip it in the bud before it runs riot but it's easier said than done sometimes. A little stress in life is to be expected though and sometimes it can be helpful and get our job done but for many of us on MH section of TSR, we know all too well the consequences of prolonged stress.

I don't really have any personal tips on how I prevent stress as part of some of the conditions I have is constant worry, obsessions, being on edge and to prevent the high stress that comes with those illnesses, I'd have to find a cure for them and so far, no such luck. I do have some tips on managing stress though - stressed both caused by MH problems and also through every day life, especially recently as I did suffer from another stress and anxiety burnout.

What helps me when I'm stressed is -
    *talk to someone be it a stranger on TSR or anything MH related forum or my family, partner or friends

* delegate. Sometimes you have to put yourself first and when you are stressed or overworked, you sometimes take too much on and you have to realise that piling on more stuff isn't going to help and you need to know when to ask for help and to pass some errands onto others or just leave them until you are in a better state. I'm very bad for being one of those "every single thing has to be done before I can relax" kind of people but I now know how important it is to delegate or just leave the errand for the time being

*going out for a drive while listening to music. Sometimes just being in the house makes me feel trapped when I'm stressed and being outside helps me think clearly and often leads to me coming up with more logical solutions to my problems

*make a list of what is stressing me and rate it out of ten and make points of what I could do to change or help it. A lot of the time I'm worried about things that I can't control such as my papa's health so I think of ways I can help him or just help myself get through the worry

*cut out booze and caffeine while I'm at my most stressed. They seem like a help at first but they only lead to further stress on your body and give you a dodgy stomach, headaches, palpitations etc which only add to your stress

*going for a bath, going for a walk around the block while listening to music, colouring in and gaming are all other ways I try and de-stress or keep my stress at bay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're some really good tips! I might have to try a couple of those myself. I especially like the list one!

About it causing mental and physical health problems, I know that only too well. I put almost all of my physical problems down to stress. I did see a doctor about stress when I was about 13, but he brushed me off and said someone of my age had nothing to be stressed about. It's definitely made me more aware of stress in young people, and that it's not just the full time working adults that come to mind for many when you mention stress
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Great thread. I always love it when people bring up things like this cos I never have any idea about all these awareness days and it's nice to spread the word.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oh and I love the profile pic btw. That's stress relief in itself! :nyan:

My biggest tip is to get to know how you work and follow that. All these de-stressing tips didn't always work great for me but music did. Embracing that helped me realise that sounds can be a trigger for me at times and helped me to realise my problems with public transport. If I know i'm going into a possibly stressful situation I will take my noise canceling headphones and it really helps.
    It also applies to stress prevention too. Trying to follow a path that doesn't suit you can lead to huge stress issues. I tried my hardest to be a good student and do focused studying, but it never worked and just made me stressed out. At some point I realised that books don't work for me, but reading on my computer or watching educational vidios worked better for me. Shout out to TED talks btw. As soon as I embraced my learning style I noticed a massive improvement. Same applies to taking a subject you don't like cos you think it's better.

Also, never be embarassed to get support. Only you know how much stress you are under and if it's too much for you it's smarter and stronger to admit you need some help than to try to brave it all alone.
    Thanks! I try my best to keep up with things going on
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thanks I already have my Christmas one picked out :laugh:

That's a good set of tips! Thanks for commenting
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Fab thread - thanks for starting it, and great contributions too! :grouphugs:

Got a headache and might not be able to properly contribute til Sunday but saving myself a space anyway
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Fab thread - thanks for starting it, and great contributions too! :grouphugs:

Got a headache and might not be able to properly contribute til Sunday but saving myself a space anyway
    Thanks Yeah, it's been really interesting to read through!

I look forward to it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.