Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys so basically we are in a uni house and sharing a connection between us (4 people) and next door (4)....there is a signal booster but the internet is still pretty slow and sometimes the connection drops off and at other times pages take a long time to load. I did an ookla speed test twice, the first time getting a download speed of 12 Mbps and upload of 7mbps and second time download speed of 9mbps and upload 7 Mbps. I tried again a third time but the connection dropped and I got a message regarding latency. Anyway, my question is should I invest in a power line starter kit? I want to play online games using the Xbox one and be able to watch movies on my PC. From what I have heard at the very least a power line should boost my connection a bit and give it a bit more stability. The only issue is I don't know about the circuits in my student house and as my room is upstairs and the router downstairs I wanted to know if it would work. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Homeplug ethernet adapters will work as long as they are within the same building, however is the wifi the cause of the problem? It could be a slow internet connection and a problem with the fact that you are sharing it with 7 other people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Connect a device directly to the router and see what speeds you get then. Adding a powerline adapter to improve range will not do anything if the issue is the speed you're getting at the router. Sharing between 8 people is a fairly hefty task unless you've got a good package. You could well install a powerline and find that speeds don't improve.

As for whether they will work, odds are it will but we have no idea what the wiring is like in the house either.

ReputationRep:
    I've got the TP-Link powerline kit and it's amazing.
    As mentioned above, connect your PC directly to the router and check the speed at the base.

ReputationRep:
    You need a network switch or a second router, clearly there's too many devices connecting to the one router and are having conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a desktop so can't really do that, could check a mates speed with laptop though. The speed sold to us as part of the package was up to 50 meg but 37 has been the top reported speed. I don't really care if it's not lightning fast I just need a stable connection that Dosent drop every so often. Currys have an offer 2 powerline adaptors 20 quid. I might just get them cuz even if they don't work at uni then it will be good for the home use anyway when I go back for Christmas and summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Connect a device directly to the router and see what speeds you get then. Adding a powerline adapter to improve range will not do anything if the issue is the speed you're getting at the router. Sharing between 8 people is a fairly hefty task unless you've got a good package. You could well install a powerline and find that speeds don't improve.

As for whether they will work, odds are it will but we have no idea what the wiring is like in the house either.
    all very valid points , also numbers of wireless devices really don't help if you are somewhere where wi-fi is crowded ( and a student area whether halls . flats or in 'civilian' territory is definitely an area where therewill be lots of wifi and only a limited number of channel are available ) hard wiring connections / using powerline adaptors for some devices may prove beneficial in that case

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.