Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm a bit confused about my eligibility for a postgraduate loan, as are quite a few of my friends in a similar situation. I am currently in my final year of my undergraduate degree, which I am studying in England. My finance for this degree comes from Student Finance Wales, however, as I lived in Wales for 10 years before I came to uni in Manchester. I will have been living in England for three years before I start my postgraduate studies (which would also be in England), however these three years will have been spend studying my undergraduate degree.

    1. Does the 'did not move to England specifically for study' requirement apply to specifically moving to England to study at postgraduate level, or any move to England for study (including at undergraduate)?

    2. Although my move to England was to study here, I am a mature student and this is where I now consider myself 'ordinarily resident', i.e. I didn't live in a parents' house this summer, I will not move back when I finish my degree. If moving for undergraduate study doesn't qualify for you a postgraduate loan in SFE, is this any different if you are applying for a postgrad loan as an independent student and moved for good to England three years ago (I am over 25)?

    There's quite a lot of confusion around this for my friends who are with SFW for undergrad but studying in England! And quite a few of us are mature students who have permanently moved our lives here; any clarification would be very helpful.

    Many Thanks,
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    HI Joanna,

    We can confirm that as you moved here to study your undergraduate course you would not be eligible for funding. Thanks
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.