The Student Room Group

I have a problem in Edexcel AS Physics Unit 1 paper!

Can anyone help me in solving the 19th question (b) ii) part in Edexcel AS May 2015 Unit 1 Physics paper?
(The link of the paper is attached below)

http://files.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Physics/A-level/Past-Papers/Edexcel-IAL/Unit-1/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20Unit%201%20Edexcel%20Physics%20A-level.pdf

(PS: In marking scheme the answers were: 0.71 t, t/1.4, (root2/2)t, t/root2, root(1/2)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I dont see any screenshots
Reply 2
hkn
OP
Original post by lyamlim97
I dont see any screenshots

Sorry there is a problem in attaching the screenshots. Can u check the 19th question in the link below?

http://files.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Physics/A-level/Past-Papers/Edexcel-IAL/Unit-1/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20Unit%201%20Edexcel%20Physics%20A-level.pdf
Reply 3
Could you show what you have tried and i will try to guide you towards the answer ?
Reply 4
hkn
OP
Could you show what you have tried and i will try to guide you towards the answer ?

I tried using the 4 equations of motion!
This is the way I did using one of the equations.

s=ut+1/2at^2

since d=s/2 & a=5.63ms^-2 [the answer i got from (a)ii)]

s/2=(0*t+1/2*5.63*t^2)/2
s/2=1.4t^2 >>>ANSWER

I am supposed to show in terms of t and this was my answer which is wrong! ( I have already showed the Marking scheme answers, u can compare) :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by hkn
I tried using the 4 equations of motion!
This is the way I did using one of the equations.

s=ut+1/2at^2

since d=s/2 & a=5.63ms^-2 [the answer i got from (a)ii)]

s/2=(0*t+1/2*5.63*t^2)/2
s/2=1.4t^2 >>>ANSWER

I am supposed to show in terms of t and this was my answer which is wrong! ( I have already showed the Marking scheme answers, u can compare) :frown:

So u have to get rid of s right ? What other equations or values can u use ?
Reply 6
hkn
OP
So u have to get rid of s right ? What other equations or values can u use ?

I have to get rid of 2nd power!

S=(v+u)/2*t

v=u+at

v^2=u^2+2as
Reply 7
Original post by hkn
I have to get rid of 2nd power!

S=(v+u)/2*t

v=u+at

v^2=u^2+2as

U can use the same equation again. Mayb just different values ? What else do you know. What is t ?
Reply 8
hkn
OP
U can use the same equation again. Mayb just different values ? What else do you know. What is t ?

t=time
Plz check the link I sent !
Reply 9
Original post by hkn
t=time
Plz check the link I sent !

t is the total time for s. U can create another equation using that and then sub it into t(s/2)
Reply 10
hkn
OP
t is the total time for s. U can create another equation using that and then sub it into t(s/2)

Thank u I will work on that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest