Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im struggling with chesmitry calculations does anyone have any ideas / resources to allow me to get better at them
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahiste)
    Im struggling with chesmitry calculations does anyone have any ideas / resources to allow me to get better at them
    Hello!

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I don't know what year you're in/ qualification you're studying so I'll just put what I can.

I'm currently in Year 12 and the first topic we started on with one of my teachers is Amount of Substance, which I'm being assessed on on Monday I recently bought a book called Chemistry Calculation by a professor JimClark. It's a hefty book (at a hefty price) but it looks really well laid out with plenty of tips and info and practise questions etc. It has a lot of good reviews. He also has a website you could try called Chemguide which again looks really good and I've heard a lot of good things about. Make sure to do practise questions to get to grips with the style of questions you will get in an exam. Particularly at A Level, they're a whole different ball game. It's all about practise and learning what examiners look for. Don't forget, your subject teacher is your most valuable resource! Never be afraid to ask for more help, because at the end of the day they just want you to do the best you can, and will be happy to stay back ten minutes or so to go over questions with you.

Good luck, we'll both get through this chem calc block haha! If you need anything else don't hesitate to send me a message!
    - Kate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katerebecca)
    Hello!

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I don't know what year you're in/ qualification you're studying so I'll just put what I can.

I'm currently in Year 12 and the first topic we started on with one of my teachers is Amount of Substance, which I'm being assessed on on Monday I recently bought a book called Chemistry Calculation by a professor JimClark. It's a hefty book (at a hefty price) but it looks really well laid out with plenty of tips and info and practise questions etc. It has a lot of good reviews. He also has a website you could try called Chemguide which again looks really good and I've heard a lot of good things about. Make sure to do practise questions to get to grips with the style of questions you will get in an exam. Particularly at A Level, they're a whole different ball game. It's all about practise and learning what examiners look for. Don't forget, your subject teacher is your most valuable resource! Never be afraid to ask for more help, because at the end of the day they just want you to do the best you can, and will be happy to stay back ten minutes or so to go over questions with you.

Good luck, we'll both get through this chem calc block haha! If you need anything else don't hesitate to send me a message!
    - Kate

I'm in year 12, and we are studying the ocr spec , and as ive alwaaaaays hated maths I just can't get my head around the calculations but I'll buy that book and give from there thank you! Whatdid to in your GCSES?

ReputationRep:
    there's another book from oxford university press called Maths Skills for A level Chemistry which is also good so you can get that on the OUP website or on amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    there's another book from oxford university press called Maths Skills for A level Chemistry which is also good so you can get that on the OUP website or on amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Chemguide is very good for chemistry A level in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahiste)
    I'm in year 12, and we are studying the ocr spec , and as ive alwaaaaays hated maths I just can't get my head around the calculations but I'll buy that book and give from there thank you! Whatdid to in your GCSES?
    I think the book is actually meant to be tailored more to ocr! (Although I could be wrong haha). I'm studying the AQA spec. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what your last question is saying

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.