Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I complete 3 A Levels in one year? Biology, Chemistry and Maths and receive A*AA. I will be in a online tutoring school, and study each subject 5 hours a week. The tutor said it will be hard work but I feel I can do it. Is this advisable?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    3 is the minimum A Levels most people take anyway. If you manage your time well, then I'm sure you'll cope just fine. 15 hours of study per week isn't that hard, roughly 2 hours a day and it still gives you time to relax in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying just chemistry in one year. Chem is the great divider of skill, it is difficult to get an A*/A in it regardless of previous academic success. I have 9hrs of formal tutoring per week and spend about 6hrs outside of that working on it, then I'd say another 3hrs across the weekend? About 2 months in and pulling 85-100% on my assignments from doing this.
    If I had to do that for Bio too I think I would be pretty stressed (but then I do have a job I need to keep too). With science A-Levels you also need to do 12 practicals per class for the practical endorsement (not essential for all uni courses, look up the specifics for what you want to do). I know that for AQA and Edexcel you will have 1 paper just on the things you should have learned through practical technique that is worth 30-40% of your final grade. So you can't just complete the practicals to tick a box. You have to understand why, how, and how to prevent error/improve the technique.
    Maths in one year on top of this - almost impossible. The full maths A-Level is 6 modules. The thing about maths is that it's like learning to drive. It only clicks with practice. It only improves with practice. I think 2hrs a day per module if you're aiming for an A. So 4hrs a day because you will have to learn two modules at once.
    I think you can do it in one year, but it will be a year if sacrifice. No job and a limited social life. What's the point otherwise? I assume you need the grades you have stated. To do it half-hearted would result in half-hearted grades. So either do it full-steam in one year, 8hrs a day across the three, or do it the way school pupils do, over two years.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.