Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it illegal for a private landlord to turn away students that being their only 'valid' reason?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by NinaBookah)
    Is it illegal for a private landlord to turn away students that being their only 'valid' reason?
    Perfectly legal if that was the only reason. It is a private landlord so they can let to whom they like (Nothwithstanding equality laws).

ReputationRep:
    Not only legal but very common. Students tend to be short term and are much more likely to damage the flat incur additional expenses for the landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Not only legal but very common. Students tend to be short term and are much more likely to damage the flat incur additional expenses for the landlord.
    Well, I am a mature student. I don't think it's fair to assume such traits in a person considering I'd be on my own. It makes sense though but I see it similar to to turning away a person of color based on stereotype. Anyway, just trying to get some insight.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Well, I am a mature student. I don't think it's fair to assume such traits in a person considering I'd be on my own. It makes sense though but I see it similar to to turning away a person of color based on stereotype. Anyway, just trying to get some insight.
    There's nothing stopping them,they can always claim you don't meet their income requirements. We came across a landlord that was a bit iffy with me being 21 (partners 25) I work full time it was literally my age that was their only issue.

ReputationRep:
    Legal and common
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its not illegal because its not a prtected characteristic like race, age or gender.

People are full of all sorts of prejudices.

Lots of things in life are unfair.

If you wanted a particular property then you cna try and talk to the LL direct and point out you are mature.

From a LL's perspective you dont know if they have had students in the past and they might have a preference for longer term tenancies. There are quute sensible reasons they can prefer others over students.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, it's up to the landlord as student isn't a protected characteristic. However, some landlords are reasonable (yes! they do exist), and explaining that you're a mature student might reassure them enough to consider renting the property to you. All you can do is ask.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's perfectly fair. This is the landlord's livelihood and at the end of the day if you trash the place and he has to pursue you for the damages then that's bad for him. There's also the chance he never gets the money. Lots of landlords want a certain level of income to pay for a property and lots of students won't meet these thresholds. There's also the risk that if anything goes wrong with your studies then suddenly you don't want to live there/pay. My point about length of let stands as well. Students will be gone, usually in a year, most landlords will want a more long term tenant.

At the end of the day the difference to being black is that (as far as I know) there is no precedent for black people being particularly bad tenants whereas there is a precedent for students being particularly bad tenants.

Also, some landlords will make an exception. Me and my partner were about to be turned down for a property as he was a (phD) student. We explained that we were adults and he earned more than enough to cover the rent and that his stipend was guaranteed so there would be no cash flow problems. We also offered a reference from our previous accommodation. The landlord was happy with this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.