The Student Room Group

Job hours

Why do nice, high-wage, comfy jobs have comfy and natural job hours (9-5) and every low-wage job I come across has uncomfy and graveyard shifts? One of my recruiters called me saying I stand a better chance of getting a temporary job if I publish myself as accepting graveyard shifts (i.e. 11 pm - 4 am).

But you know what? I have a degree and even though I wish to do temporary low-age jobs to make ends meet, I am sure as heck not going to do those sh*tty hours. I respect myself too much for that.

I was wondering if anyone could answer my question. It seems simple, but why is it the way it is? Why do people with no degrees working in low-wage jobs get to be treated like sh*t? I mean, what kind of a world do we live in anyway? Everyone should be treated fairly.
Original post by 571122
Why do nice, high-wage, comfy jobs have comfy and natural job hours (9-5) and every low-wage job I come across has uncomfy and graveyard shifts? One of my recruiters called me saying I stand a better chance of getting a temporary job if I publish myself as accepting graveyard shifts (i.e. 11 pm - 4 am).

But you know what? I have a degree and even though I wish to do temporary low-age jobs to make ends meet, I am sure as heck not going to do those sh*tty hours. I respect myself too much for that.

I was wondering if anyone could answer my question. It seems simple, but why is it the way it is? Why do people with no degrees working in low-wage jobs get to be treated like sh*t? I mean, what kind of a world do we live in anyway? Everyone should be treated fairly.

You don't; I work in two low wage jobs and the latest I've worked too is midnight
Original post by 571122

Because office jobs tebd to eb around business hours i.e when people are awake and ready to do business, hence 9-5.

Graveyard shifts are not rquired for many businesses, so it tends to eb recreational or support jobs where they cna have access to premises without disrupting daytime activities. its those that make the money.

Graveyard shifts tend to pay a premium. I dont think its about respect. You will just have to wait till your skills are sufficient to win you a daytime job, then and remain unemployed. Some people prefer nights.
Reply 3
I know, all I want is a 9 to 5, i refuse to do the antisocial hours anymore.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Because office jobs tebd to eb around business hours i.e when people are awake and ready to do business, hence 9-5.

Graveyard shifts are not rquired for many businesses, so it tends to eb recreational or support jobs where they cna have access to premises without disrupting daytime activities. its those that make the money.

Graveyard shifts tend to pay a premium. I dont think its about respect. You will just have to wait till your skills are sufficient to win you a daytime job, then and remain unemployed. Some people prefer nights.

Good answer indeed, i.e. most businesses operate during business hours. I should have thought about that myself!

Oh but it is about respect. I have been treated like sh*t and disrespected to the maximum in low-wage jobs.

In high wage jobs, I have been treated like a person. People actually paid me to say my scientific opinion on things (during meetings) and to work it out on paper. The amenities I had on those jobs man, it was awesome! Observe:

- Free varied lunch with a refrigerator full of food per employee team (external catering company)
- 30 loafs of bread daily
- tons of snacks
- 1 entire closet full of varied snacks per team
- 200 free bottles of 1,5L water per office - and if you didn't have enough, you could just go downstairs in the kitchen and grab some more.
- Toilet breaks, whatever breaks whenever you wanted, no boss breathing down your neck.
- interesting company engineering events with free high quality food and drinks
- VIP passes to events
- paid transport, paid gasoline/diesel, paid phone, paid internet, all by the company
- unlimited lunch breaks for unlimited time
- you get to come into work whenever you please and no one bites your head off for it, especially in the engineering section where I've been, where everyone respects you and your title
- you get to go to fancy 3* to 5* restaurants everywhere during the day during lunch break, without anyone breathing down your neck. For example, as a software engineer I got to take a 2 hour break at ease, having lunch with the manager and the business associate, enjoying your wine, living like kings, enjoying our delicious gourmet lunches, going back to the workplace feeling easy.

Need I say more? If the above doesn't say respect I don't know what does.

Now let's look at the hells of low wage jobs, shall we?
- cameras watching you the whole time to make sure you don't skip out on 1 second of work (literally). And if they catch you missing out one second you get called to the office and scolded for that and you get called unproductive and lazy.

- company provides no food whatsoever. You have to run towards some McDo or other deli place (no, we can't even afford that with our sh*tty wage) and blow half your salary away monthly on that. Those that do ask you to pay for it. And those that offer it for free, generally offer sh*tty food. Because the company is on deserted company terrain, you have to sprint your way towards the nearest food place, rush all your food in, sprint back to the place (because we're poor and we can't afford cars, let alone maintain them, with our sh*tty salary), losing time off our lunch break.

- 20 minute lunch break, 10 minute breaks for the rest

- no alcohol during work

- literally unload a f*cking truckload of heavy bags (50 lbs each). The managers get to celebrate it with a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and we get 1 cheap ice cream. If that isn't offensive, I don't know what is.

- getting yelled at for following rules, like we're some herd that doesn't understand what people say

- getting scolded at by your boss for arriving 1 minute late

- being forced to work inhumanly hard just because the suckup guy next to you works unreasonably hard. If you keep working like this (which is against the law here), at this rate, by the time you come home you are broken and sore and all you can do is sleep.

- being forced to do work alone when your teammates throw in the towel and laugh at you

- your opinion doesn't matter to anyone. People laugh at you and never take you serious.

- being offended during personal meetings (boss claiming I have various types of disorders)

- working in horrible environments: no sufficient heating / comfort

- working standing up all day

- manoeuvering heavy loads

I could go on all day about how sh*tty these workplaces treat you but you know what? Only hardworking people like Ham22 understand what it's like to work in such places. We're tired of being treated like children.

Now I don't know about you, but much like Ham22 I am tired of being treated like a sack of sh*t and I want my respect, so I refuse to work those shifts.
Original post by Ham22
I know, all I want is a 9 to 5, i refuse to do the antisocial hours anymore.

Then get the skills so you can convince a 9-5 employer that they should hire you.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Then get the skills so you can convince a 9-5 employer that they should hire you.

I have lots of skills.
Original post by Ham22
I have lots of skills.

But they have to be the right skills for the employer to want to hire you over someone else.
Original post by 571122
Why do nice, high-wage, comfy jobs have comfy and natural job hours (9-5)

No idea what you're talking about. Every high-paying job I know (and worked in) was/is long hours, high pressure, and lots of responsibility.
Original post by 571122

That is not always the case in my experience (office work).

1st) In a call centre working for a utilities company during summer holidays whilst at university. Monday to Friday AND sometimes Saturdays unsocial hours - 16k a year.

2nd) Monday to Friday 9-5 in a healthcare recruitment agency. But had to resign because it was a little bit far for me to travel - 15k a year.

3rd) 9-5 in another healthcare recruitment agency, but this one was closer to home. Exactly the same job as 2nd, Monday to Friday BUT included weekends to do on-call shifts - 15k a year.

4th) Monday to Friday 9-5 in a Credit Hire (car insurance) company - 15k a year. Current job.

In answer to your question in regards to various hours, it just depends on the business itself and demands from customers. If its a call centre then you're bound to work at nights shifts and in most cases in the weekends too.
NHS is also reputable for unsocial hours because there are more chances of people needing medical help especially with the increase of people living longer.
Reply 10
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
No idea what you're talking about. Every high-paying job I know (and worked in) was/is long hours, high pressure, and lots of responsibility.

Try working as a senior software architect for a bank. Banks forbid after-hours; it is actually forbidden by law.
Original post by 571122
Try working as a senior software architect for a bank. Banks forbid after-hours; it is actually forbidden by law.

Tell that to the entry level bankers, consultants and lawyers who have to opt out of the working time directive..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 571122

Hardly high-paying. And the latter part sure wasn't true for the bank I worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending