The Student Room Group

Starting a career in theatre/production design please urgent

I was looking at short courses or somewhere I get good training. Anybody studied or is in set design? I can't afford college please help
Original post by fairangel
I was looking at short courses or somewhere I get good training. Anybody studied or is in set design? I can't afford college please help

http://www.theatredesign.org.uk/training/ is probably the best place to start - there are links on the undergraduate and foundation course pages to short courses as well as degrees.

However even short courses aren't cheap - it might be a better option to look into a degree funding wise as at least you'll be likely eligible for a student loan to cover fees and living costs.
I used to be a lighting tech so I've got friends who've worked in set design (for better or worse). Your best bet is to get involved in AmDram, learn on the job and work your way up. Network like mad and always give 110% so you stay on people's minds next time they're producing.

The industry is hard and whilst you'll potentially make good contacts doing courses and have the freedom to make as many experimental creation as you fancy, you'll risk having a sort of useless qualification. Mountview are very good for set design though, or so I've heard..

Quick Reply

Latest