The Student Room Group

Only two years funding left, desperately in need of advice.

Hi everyone,

I started a university course around five years ago and ended up doing two out of the three years. I failed due to a severe mental health breakdown and at the time which left me unable to leave the house, I submitted evidence, including from my doctor explaining (which I still have). A decision was sent to a board and they offered to give me another year to catch up, free of charge but to put it frankly, this didn't go to plan. A side note is that I know, it was a complete mess and I had I been the person I am now, I wouldn't have failed.

I am now on a psychology course (I know right), with the hope of heading to university but I technically only have the two years left. I know I can appeal to get a years funding back, if I can prove why I failed the year and if it is found to be an acceptable reason. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

2. Who should I contact and basically what should I do?

Any information is appreciated and thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Natatron
Hi everyone,

I started a university course around five years ago and ended up doing two out of the three years. I failed due to a severe mental health breakdown and at the time which left me unable to leave the house, I submitted evidence, including from my doctor explaining (which I still have). A decision was sent to a board and they offered to give me another year to catch up, free of charge but to put it frankly, this didn't go to plan. A side note is that I know, it was a complete mess and I had I been the person I am now, I wouldn't have failed.

I am now on a psychology course (I know right), with the hope of heading to university but I technically only have the two years left. I know I can appeal to get a years funding back, if I can prove why I failed the year and if it is found to be an acceptable reason. My questions are:

Did you pass your first year and leave with a CertHE? If so contact other universities that do the same course and ask if you can transfer onto second year, it's what I'm doing
Reply 2
Original post by Natatron
Hi everyone,

You should be able to invoke the Student Finance "Compelling Personal Reasons" process again, and with the correct level of independent evidence, you should get the extra funding you need.

Contact SF and ask them how to go about invoking the CPR process - they'll talk you through what to do.

Good luck!
Call SFE and ask them to check you have not already applied for CPR, which may be the case.

If not, have evidence at the ready, and be prepared to send this to SFE for a decision to be made. The more evidence the better, and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending