Turn on thread page Beta

How do you admit that youre ill watch

sorry in advance for the huge wall of text

So i started college in august against what everyone suggested because to be honest high school wasn't fantastic. I struggled with suicidal thoughts and being at the complete opposing end of happiness, i went to the doctors once because i found the courage to go but i was told I was just hormonal (I could understand because i was 16 at the time) but this put me off seeking help ever again because i felt completely shut down.

Fast forward to now, id been doing okay at college and learnt to kind of just deal with things but now i've hit another low and my attendance has went down the gutter, my lecturer now wants a doctors note from me to justify my absences and im back at square one with going to the doctors. Im so terrified about being told whats going on in my head is nonsense 'because its that time of the month' and im also a natural at toning things down in case i sound insane but i just feel so rubbish at the moment because i have virtually no motivation to do anything which in hindsight is just making things worse for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Acknowledgement is the first, yet possibly one of the hardest, steps. Good luck. Just be honest to yourself and your peers, friends, teachers, parents, siblings, anyone you feel you can talk to; then the long and arduous road to recovery will happen. Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    sorry in advance for the huge wall of text

So i started college in august against what everyone suggested because to be honest high school wasn't fantastic. I struggled with suicidal thoughts and being at the complete opposing end of happiness, i went to the doctors once because i found the courage to go but i was told I was just hormonal (I could understand because i was 16 at the time) but this put me off seeking help ever again because i felt completely shut down.

Fast forward to now, id been doing okay at college and learnt to kind of just deal with things but now i've hit another low and my attendance has went down the gutter, my lecturer now wants a doctors note from me to justify my absences and im back at square one with going to the doctors. Im so terrified about being told whats going on in my head is nonsense 'because its that time of the month' and im also a natural at toning things down in case i sound insane but i just feel so rubbish at the moment because i have virtually no motivation to do anything which in hindsight is just making things worse for myself.
    Hi there. Sorry you're going through all this. Unfortionately it's pretty common to feel like you haven't been taken seriously in doctors appointments for mh, especially as a teen who may often be told it's just hormones or "being a teenager". That doesn't mean you should give up though. YOU are the on who knows how you feel and you know if that is a problem. Sometimes you need to spell it out a bit so people will understand. Mind.org and sane.org have some good advice for doctors appointments and in general so check them out and try to work out how to get across how you are feeling and how important it is to you.

Write it down so you don't miss anything in your appointment and don't spare them any gory or embarassing details. For them to take you seriously you may need to make it super obvious and that can mean straight up saying "I think about hurting myself" and anything like that (you can always just hand them the note if you are nervous). Be sure to say that it has been going on for a long time and that it is having a big impact on your work. Be brave and if they try to say "hormones" or whatever tell them that they are wrong and that you really need help.

Hopefully if you are nice and clear and have everything written down they will immediately take you seriously and you won't have to stand up for yourself, but remember that it is totally okay to. You know if this is a problem for you and that is enough for you to stand your ground.

I found that I tended to tone things down and say things like "struggling" instead of "absolutely can't cope" and kinda glossed over the more serious parts. If you are like that, make sure that you are clear and don't miss things out. I handed them a list of things including how I felt and consequenses to make sure they got the full picture and I didn't miss anything out.

You can also talk to your student support at uni, samaritans, childline etc, get counseling (your college should have links to a service) and look online at sites like nhs, sane, mind, disability uk, childline for info and support.

You may feel it at the moment but your are not alone and there is help and support out there for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.