Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am planning to apply to the PGDE Primary teaching course for 2017 however since I lived in Canada for a year I need a criminal check from that country. Does anyone have any advice on about doing this? I cant seem to find any useful information from ucas or the university websites and google isn't very clear either.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is an old thread but what did you end up doing? I'm in the same position but have to apply for Canada and Australia. Looks like it's going to be expensive and frustrating...

ReputationRep:
    This website gives you details of who you need to contact and what you need to provide and pay. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eas-applicants

Give it plenty of time as they can take a while.

ReputationRep:
    HI,

I contacted my university and they said that a certificate from a third party company was acceptable as long as it was still obtained from the Canadian police. Mybackcheck.com was able to provide a name based check from the Canadian police which meant that I didn't need to get the fingerprints. I sent my certificate to my university months ago and they haven't come back with any problems.

I'm not sure if they can do the same for Australian checks.

(Original post by Level6E)
    I realise this is an old thread but what did you end up doing? I'm in the same position but have to apply for Canada and Australia. Looks like it's going to be expensive and frustrating...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmand91)
    HI,

I contacted my university and they said that a certificate from a third party company was acceptable as long as it was still obtained from the Canadian police. Mybackcheck.com was able to provide a name based check from the Canadian police which meant that I didn't need to get the fingerprints. I sent my certificate to my university months ago and they haven't come back with any problems.

I'm not sure if they can do the same for Australian checks.

Thanks for this. I got in touch with my uni and, unfortunately, they confirmed that they want whatever is asked for on the uk government website page so it looks like I do have to get the fingerprints done for Canada. Australia is easier as I don't have to get fingerprints and can do the application online so don't need to pay an intermediary company.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.