The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Finance Imperial College 2017 Entry

Hi there,

For those interested in the MSc Finance at Imperial, I graduated from the course in 2015 and would be happy to give you more info about the course. By the way, I also launched the platform Unibudy to connect with current students at UK universities, so please have a look and let me know your thoughts!

Here is a first advice on applications, more specifically the career plan:

The application consists mainly of four Career Planning questions, one Personal Statement and one Mathematics Statement.

Career Planning: definitely the most challenging thing to me, this is why I wrote a post on Unibudy with a few tips on how to tackle the beast.

“When applying to the MSc Finance, I was faced with an impossible task: explaining my short and long term career goals and how I would achieve them. I’m the kind of person who can’t even plan for the next day, so you can easily imagine that it took me weeks to even start writing a single line, and eventually a couple of months to write something sensible...so here a few steps that I hope will save you some time:

1) Start with the long-term
Start by picturing yourself at 40. What would you like to be, ideally? If you don’t have an answer to this question, just think about what you are really passionate about and how you can link it with your subject of interest. I was fascinated by tech startups (bid data, IoT, etc.) and wanted to start my own company, eventually.

2) Be honest
Looking at the profiles of past MSc Finance students, I knew that dreaming of becoming an entrepreneur was highly uncommon. A not so well-advised counsellor even told me I should change everything and focus on trying to fit the typical profile. I didn’t, and nor should you. Only by being really true to yourself will you be able to show passion and dedication in your essays!

3) Work backwards
Ok, so my profile didn’t fit, at all! But that’s not a problem, at all. I read dozens of blogs, professional websites and other contents. I soon realised that many top entrepreneurs used to work in Management Consulting and Venture Capital and all was left to do was drawing a logical line between all of this.

4) Connect the dots
I’ll put it short here, since that’s mainly personal. Short term career goal was therefore to work for a leading Consulting firm, this wall the royal path to securing a job in Venture Capital + would give me some key skills to becoming an entrepreneur. Going to Venture Capital after 2-4 years would complete this toolbox by showing me the other side - how to make everything work (KPIs, cash flow optimisation, financing). I would eventually end up starting my own company, should I fail or succeed!"

Personal Statement: I really depends on your background, previous work experience/internships or undergrad degree. I’d be happy to let you know my thoughts on yours.

I structured mine in 4 paragraphs

Intro: a compelling introductory sentence that sums up why you are passionate about Finance.

Why Imperial: how can Imperial help you, what is unique about that institution and that course

Experience: my internships, the skills acquired

Closing: something more intimate that allowed the jury to really understand more about my personality, my background, etc.

Maths Statement: here you just need to list what you’ve learned in maths-related disciplines in the past (econometrics, maths for finance, and so on.) and how they have been/ will be valuable.
hi, any advice about the interview? thanks
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Where can I ask question to current students
Reply 3
Original post by georgecorn
Where can I ask question to current students

You can find profiles of MSc Finance students here: http://bit.ly/2fSHO9A
Reply 4
Original post by Housing123

Hey, I didn't get an interview so I'm afraid I won't be able to tell you much about it!
Reply 5
hey, anyone did video interview already?
Reply 6
I have received interview several days ago. Did you finish your interview?
Hi!

Can I know how long all of your personal statements were? I reckon mine would be a page to a page and half.
Reply 8
How long do they normally take to process application.
Reply 9
I applied on Dec 20 2016 and my referees only got approved on 3 Jan. When should I hear an answer?
Original post by Housing123

Hi did you do the interview? how was it? Thanks
Original post by sktma24
Just received interview invite. Anyone already done it and can provide insight to the questions?

Original post by lilyily
I have received interview several days ago. Did you finish your interview?

Is there anyone who did interview recently and received offer already?
anyone interviewed?
Did anyone in your program fail? I'm a bit worried about the maths level. Any advice would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest