Turn on thread page Beta

What work experience have you done? (Wannabe Lawyers only) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious as to what kinds of work experiences other students applying for VS/TCs have done.

I only have:
    - retail (two years)
    - local law firm, shadowing a solicitor, 1 month)
    - local law firm (shadowing a solicitor, 2 weeks)
    - President of Law Society
    - Student Ambassador

I feel like my experiences are cliche. Lots of people have retail work experience and are actively involved in their Law Society...

ReputationRep:
    Before I got my TC:

- Shadowed a commercial barrister
    - 1 week of experience with a regional commercial law firm
    - 4 open days
    - 1 week of experience at a MC firm
    - 3 years of bar experience, two of those years as a supervisor within a SU bar
    - Member of college committee
    - Senior college mentor
    - Contributed/edited pieces for the Law Society's journal

All that experience led to two vac schemes at MC firms, where I was offered a TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Oh wow.

Were you in your penultimate year by the time you did all that? Did you obtain a TC in your penultimate year?

Also, do you have connections? How did you land the work experiences at the commercial firms. I don't know any commercial firms giving informal work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Di Doo)
    I'm curious as to what kinds of work experiences other students applying for VS/TCs have done.

I only have:
    - retail (two years)
    - Student Ambassador

I feel like my experiences are cliche. Lots of people have retail work experience and are actively involved in their Law Society...
    The penultimate one is not work experience and shouldn't be listed as such. The student ambassador one is usually a bit of a grey area as at some unis they are paid jobs, others are more voluntary/informal.

But you have to get rid of the idea that you "only" have that. Your work experience is stronger than most applicants I see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow.

Were you in your penultimate year by the time you did all that? Did you obtain a TC in your penultimate year?

Also, do you have connections? How did you land the work experiences at the commercial firms. I don't know any commercial firms giving informal work experience
    Yes to the first two questions.

But no, I don't have any connections. The work experience at a regional firm came through me turning up to their office with a CV, as I was handing it in at reception a partner was leaving for lunch, overheard the conversation and took me for lunch before offering me a week in his department. I fully understand how fortunate I was in that situation. The experience I had at a MC firm was formal work experience which many firms run for first year students.

ReputationRep:

I only have:
    - retail (two years)
    - Student Ambassador

Similarly to the above poster, I had done the following work experience before obtaining my TC:

- Retail (since the age of 16 part-time, so 7 years)
    - Various open days at commercial firms (to pre-empt the question, no contacts at all simply applied online)
    - 2 days at an insurance firm (obtained through emailing them directly)
    - First-year vacation scheme at a SC firm
    - Four vacation schemes (two MC, one SC, one US, all offered TCs)

I had absolutely nothing apart from retail until university, so it 100% is not too late I also did other things such as volunteering, law soc competitions etc. to boost my applications. Make the most of your retail experience in your applications, as it was the No.1 thing I was asked about in interview and many firms look highly on it if you can explain the relevant skills it gave you.

ReputationRep:
    -CMS First Steps Programme
    -Work shadowing
    -Several law related events like networking dinners, firm presentations, etc
    -Law Student Council elected rep for 2 years
    -Student Union elected rep for 2 years
    -Worked retail over Christmas
    -Project coordinator for international student charity
    - participated in mentorship scheme of the uni Commercial law soc

I think your experience sounds good! Law Soc President is a big deal, and you have done quite a bit of shadowing. Retail is always good because whilst it seems a lot of people have done it, it gives you some good skills and shows you are willing to actually work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legallyblonde72)
    Similarly to the above poster, I had done the following work experience before obtaining my TC:

I had absolutely nothing apart from retail until university, so it 100% is not too late I also did other things such as volunteering, law soc competitions etc. to boost my applications. Make the most of your retail experience in your applications, as it was the No.1 thing I was asked about in interview and many firms look highly on it if you can explain the relevant skills it gave you.
    You did so much! I feel nervous about the competition now lol.

Do you have advise for VS applications?

How did you know you want to go into commercial law? And since you did work experience at an insurance firm did they ask you why you prefer commercial over insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Only just got into 6th form but this Is what I have done so far.

-Got a invite from a large law firm for work experience. (I was the only one let in)
    - Invite to shadow a student at oxford and oxford want to talk to me.

While nothing has gone through yet I hope it will as I really want to get into a good law school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Only just got into 6th form but this Is what I have done so far.

-Got a invite from a large law firm for work experience. (I was the only one let in)
    - Invite to shadow a student at oxford and oxford want to talk to me.

While nothing has gone through yet I hope it will as I really want to get into a good law school.
    Which law firm? Asking because I'd like to gain some more experience lol, particularly at a commercial firm. Goodluck, I hope you get into your choice university

(Original post by Ambry)
    -CMS First Steps Programme
    Did you do all that before your penultimate year? How did you know you wanted to be a commercial lawyer?

Goodluck with getting a TC (if you haven't already secured it).

ReputationRep:
    Which law firm? Asking because I'd like to gain some more experience lol, particularly at a commercial firm. Goodluck, I hope you get into your choice university

Did you do all that before your penultimate year? How did you know you wanted to be a commercial lawyer?

Dont really want to say but It is a commercial firm as I want to do commercial law.
    and the applications are done for this year It also is only for people in a certain area.

ReputationRep:

I only have:
    - retail (two years)
    - Student Ambassador

It's really about selling your experiences in the best possible way. You can get vacation scheme offers with very little experience if you're able to articulate why the career is for/have good career motivations.

Recruiters often complain that it's often the students with the most experience who show the least enthusiasm for the career.

I have
    3 vacation schemes (MC/US)
    five month legal placement before university
    three month placement in house at a global asset manager (top ten)
    three month placement in NY
    four months at a research think tank

I also had a number of high-level extra curriculars along with regular employment before university.

I don't have a TC while lots of friends with far less experience have TCs. Just focus on selling your transferable skills if you don't have much experience. It's important to be tuned in with the realities of the career and this is where experience comes in handy. Non-legal work experience is also valued if you can reflect on the skills that you've picked up from the experience.

ReputationRep:

Sorry I didn't reply! Was busy this weekend

I did most of that in my second year of my four year degree (some things I did in first year and carried them on). I am now in my third year and applying for vac schemes - though I'm on my year abroad and it is hard to keep up with the career events at home!

I know I want to be a commercial lawyer because I've tried to explore it as much as I can (first steps, work shadowing, law firm events, etc) and it seems to be what I'm looking for. I think it will have a good amount of variety and enough of a challenge to be interesting and allow me to develop the career. I also did commercial law last year and really enjoyed it, and I'm taking subjects related to it on my year abroad (international business law, insurance, competition, etc)!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.