Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished IGCSE exams and am about to chose my A-Level Subjects soon. My main goal is to go to a good university and chose a Science Field of Study(I want to work as a computer scientist or a robotics engineer). I originally wanted to chose Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English Literature.
    I wanted to do English Literature for the sole reason I really enjoy it however due to mainly money concerns and also my brother saying English Literature is a "Soft" Subject and doesn't fit with my originally purpose, am not choosing it.

Because of this I am reduced to 3 A-Levels Subjects so am just touching the requirement. Will a Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics A-Level be enough for any University to accept me? Will they will more impressed with more passed A-Level Subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am the only person in my school who takes 4 subjects and I can tell you that universities do not need for you to have a fourth a level and will not treat you any better for having done it (I am getting uni offers now at the same time as another guy in my year who has applied for the same course at same time doing three a levels.)The only difference is that you have the option of choosing your best grades (however this may not be the case as for science related degrees they generally specify which subjects you need to get which grades in).
    If you really want to do a fourth subject, if you want to do one you must really enjoy it the subject as it is quite a bit of extra work (and the lack of free periods can be rather annoying!!). I take chemistry, physics, maths and further maths and I chose to take the fourth a level as I really enjoy maths and the extra work is not really a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessnox)
    Hi,
    I am the only person in my school who takes 4 subjects and I can tell you that universities do not need for you to have a fourth a level and will not treat you any better for having done it (I am getting uni offers now at the same time as another guy in my year who has applied for the same course at same time doing three a levels.)The only difference is that you have the option of choosing your best grades (however this may not be the case as for science related degrees they generally specify which subjects you need to get which grades in).
    If you really want to do a fourth subject, if you want to do one you must really enjoy it the subject as it is quite a bit of extra work (and the lack of free periods can be rather annoying!!). I take chemistry, physics, maths and further maths and I chose to take the fourth a level as I really enjoy maths and the extra work is not really a problem.
    Thank you so much this really helped!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do English Literature for AS and not A2? Most schools let students do 4 AS levels in year 12, dropping one and going onto 3 A levels.

If you want to do Computer Science it's good to do double maths, if available to you and you're good at maths (or sometimes called Maths with Further Maths, depending on your school). Double maths with Physics is a very good combination for A2 level. But Maths, Chemistry and Physics is good too. Also, English lit isn't soft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zattyzatzat)
    I've just finished IGCSE exams and am about to chose my A-Level Subjects soon. My main goal is to go to a good university and chose a Science Field of Study(I want to work as a computer scientist or a robotics engineer). I originally wanted to chose Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English Literature.
    I wanted to do English Literature for the sole reason I really enjoy it however due to mainly money concerns and also my brother saying English Literature is a "Soft" Subject and doesn't fit with my originally purpose, am not choosing it.

Because of this I am reduced to 3 A-Levels Subjects so am just touching the requirement. Will a Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics A-Level be enough for any University to accept me? Will they will more impressed with more passed A-Level Subjects?
    3 subjects are perfectly fine so long you meet their entry requirements. Maybe consider taking Further Maths because of Engineering?

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.