Turn on thread page Beta

Have I made a catastrophic mistake? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently graduated college earlier this year and achieved an A in Geography (what I want to do) and B's in Lit and Lang, I honestly didn't think i'd do as well as I did and didn't apply to university because I wanted to take a gap year to visit South Africa early next year. I spent summer looking through prospectuses and decided to visit York Uni and completely fell in love with the place and I know I want to study there, but like I say I didn't apply when I should have done because I had no idea what I wanted to do or where to go. My relationship fell apart which added stress and anxiety and now I'm wondering have I made a huge error and if so, can it be fixed? Any help or guidance at all would be hugely hugely appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    If you've already taken the gap year then stick with it. You've obviously made your mind up previously so you shouldn't turn back. Explore, venture out and do things that you wouldn't normally get to do, you can't get this year back, although you can find another partner. You may find that things change and that you don't wish to do geography and this is normal.

You could also find work, travel and do things related to geography to show the university and employers that you didn't waste time during your gap year. You'd have more experience within geography and you'll also mature more, if your not already mature enough!

Don't look back on what mistakes you've made, just carry on and do whatever you feel is right.

I hope that you get where you want to go and I hope that you enjoy your gap year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's catastrophic.
    You can just apply now and take your gap year anyway - there's no way to get into a 2016 course now (I don't think?) so why not just take the gap year? South Africa is amazing, I'm sure you'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Does it count as a mistake if you weren't in a position to apply back then? Regardless of what's going on with your relationship now, what you did back then can't be changed. You needed a little longer to make your decision, you took it, made your decision, and now you're ready to apply. I see nothing to concern yourself over. Applications are open for next year, so go for it.

I'm also a big fan of gap years. Everybody should take a gap year. Make the most of it. Go do some interesting things, prepare yourself for starting university next year, mentally and financially, if you have plans to work at some point.

If your relationship was going to end, it's probably preferable that it happened now rather than in your first few months of university, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you've made a mistake in the slightest! Not everyone wants, or needs, to go to uni straight out of college/sixth form. You might find that taking a gap year is what's best for you - it'll let you live life outside of school a little, travel, work, etc... All of this will culminate in you going to study at a uni you love (because you've had the time to think about it properly, without the pressures of school!), to study a course you're interested in.

There's no harm in taking a break every now and again; you may not have been in a position to apply for this year, but you know that you're in a position to do so now. If you didn't know where to go or what to do last time, it's for the best that you didn't apply - you could've easily ended up doing something you hated in a place you didn't like. You've made the best choice by biding your time.

You'll be alright, and you haven't made a mistake. South Africa is a pretty amazing place, or so I've heard - go enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuchaynz)
    If you've already taken the gap year then stick with it. You've obviously made your mind up previously so you shouldn't turn back. Explore, venture out and do things that you wouldn't normally get to do, you can't get this year back, although you can find another partner. You may find that things change and that you don't wish to do geography and this is normal.

You could also find work, travel and do things related to geography to show the university and employers that you didn't waste time during your gap year. You'd have more experience within geography and you'll also mature more, if your not already mature enough!

Don't look back on what mistakes you've made, just carry on and do whatever you feel is right.

I hope that you get where you want to go and I hope that you enjoy your gap year.

Good luck!
    You're right! Can't get this time back so may as well, i was curious to know weather or not thought it was a mistake :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Does it count as a mistake if you weren't in a position to apply back then? Regardless of what's going on with your relationship now, what you did back then can't be changed. You needed a little longer to make your decision, you took it, made your decision, and now you're ready to apply. I see nothing to concern yourself over. Applications are open for next year, so go for it.

I'm also a big fan of gap years. Everybody should take a gap year. Make the most of it. Go do some interesting things, prepare yourself for starting university next year, mentally and financially, if you have plans to work at some point.

If your relationship was going to end, it's probably preferable that it happened now rather than in your first few months of university, tbh.
    Talking with friends and family and looking back, now, im glad it ended when it did and not whilst I was actually starting uni. Many thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethipayne)
    I don't think you've made a mistake in the slightest! Not everyone wants, or needs, to go to uni straight out of college/sixth form. You might find that taking a gap year is what's best for you - it'll let you live life outside of school a little, travel, work, etc... All of this will culminate in you going to study at a uni you love (because you've had the time to think about it properly, without the pressures of school!), to study a course you're interested in.

There's no harm in taking a break every now and again; you may not have been in a position to apply for this year, but you know that you're in a position to do so now. If you didn't know where to go or what to do last time, it's for the best that you didn't apply - you could've easily ended up doing something you hated in a place you didn't like. You've made the best choice by biding your time.

You'll be alright, and you haven't made a mistake. South Africa is a pretty amazing place, or so I've heard - go enjoy it!
    That was one of the reasons for not applying, in case i ended up somewhere i hated doing something i didn't enjoy!! i will however, enjoy South Africa for definite

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.