Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today at Sixth Form, everyone got a lecture on applying to university, and how UCAS is so important etc etc. About half way through I came to the conclusion that considering that I am really unsure on what to do at university, or even if I should go at all, I decided not to bother applying (At least not this year), and to try and get some real world experience before deciding if I should do a degree or not. So really what I want to know is how much of edge A Levels give you when applying for jobs? I really don't want to end up doing some supermarket minimum wage job, I want to do something that takes into account the work I am currently doing. Obviously, Apprenticeships are a good route, but what else is available?

For reference, my A Levels are History, Business Studies and Computing (But I don't enjoy computing very much) I expect to get somewhere in the B/C area.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting on the bench between university and an apprenticeship, although I have still applied for both.. I've applied for university to study computer science with a year in industry and I am also applying for apprenticeships within IT/Cyber Security.

It's better to have both just in case you need something to fall back on, or if you decide that you don't want to do one or the other.
    You could find an apprenticeship in a chosen field and go along with, ensuring that it is a good apprenticeship and that you are aware of the pros and cons.

Maybe you could find one within business management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuchaynz)
    I'm sitting on the bench between university and an apprenticeship, although I have still applied for both.. I've applied for university to study computer science with a year in industry and I am also applying for apprenticeships within IT/Cyber Security.

It's better to have both just in case you need something to fall back on, or if you decide that you don't want to do one or the other.
    You could find an apprenticeship in a chosen field and go along with, ensuring that it is a good apprenticeship and that you are aware of the pros and cons.

Maybe you could find one within business management?
    Business management is something I'm considering, as I really do enjoy Business Studies. I could put in a speculative application to university, but I've barely written a personal statement, I haven't a clue on what to study, and I can't remember my UCAS password.

ReputationRep:
    Do an apprenticeship.....you get work experience + money and sometimes they will pay for a qualification

Graduate's struggle so much to get a job due to work experience and a majority of them end up doing a job which dosen't even require a degree

These are my thoughts anyway

ReputationRep:
    Yea it's called a gap year and many people do it...

I personally think you should do that than being thrusted straight into uni just so that your mum doesn't nag you

The worst thing you can do is go to uni unwillingly, unprepared, inexperienced, broke, because then you might lack confidence and ruin your total or most of your time there, and probably beeline straight to an unfulfilled adult life.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.