Turn on thread page Beta

Why is it so awkward between me and this guy? We liked eachother and then it got too much so we called it off, but now we just completely avoid and ignore eachother and it is horribly awkward! Why is this???

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, that is pretty normal. Even though you say "we'll still be friends" it's really difficult and awkward to actually implement. Sounds like maybe he ended up being hurt and now it is just awkward. Time will help but doubtful it'll even be the way it was before you got together.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    That's just how it is. You probably still have feelings for each other and are trying to hide it, hence the awkwardness. You need to be apart, cut contact and eventually you'll both feel better. Unfortunately I can't see your relationship/friendship with each other ever being the same again.

(Original post by UWS)
    That's just how it is. You probably still have feelings for each other and are trying to hide it, hence the awkwardness. You need to be apart, cut contact and eventually you'll both feel better. Unfortunately I can't see your relationship/friendship with each other ever being the same again.
    Thanks how can I make it less awkward as I see him nearly every day

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    Sadly, that is pretty normal. Even though you say "we'll still be friends" it's really difficult and awkward to actually implement. Sounds like maybe he ended up being hurt and now it is just awkward. Time will help but doubtful it'll even be the way it was before you got together.
    Is there a way of making it less awkward

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think so especially if he ended up getting hurt. Time always helps but right now it sounds like this is fairly fresh. He doesn't know what to say because, if he got his feelings hurt, he feels rejected even if that isn't what you intended. You could always ask to meet him somewhere and discuss this with him and tell him you don't want it to be awkward between you two.... but again, it he feels hurt he may not be able to respond another way for a while. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    But.... I would add that you could just try to act normally yourself like if you see him on the sidewalk you could just cheerfully say,
    "Hi ____!" Treat it the exact way you would talk to or speak to any guy friend you'd come across. Perhaps if you act normally that will signal to him how he should behave in return. Worth a try! Good Luck!

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    But.... I would add that you could just try to act normally yourself like if you see him on the sidewalk you could just cheerfully say,
    "Hi ____!" Treat it the exact way you would talk to or speak to any guy friend you'd come across. Perhaps if you act normally that will signal to him how he should behave in return. Worth a try! Good Luck!
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the same as me! I got close to someone and we dated for a few months, but I was under a lot of pressure and felt a bit trapped, so I called it off. We see each other every day at school - it's been a few weeks, but it's still awkward.

At first, we ended up talking online every now and then but that just made it more awkward. I'd say cutting contact for a little while is best - work on yourself and what you want. Give yourself time to fully understand your own feelings before talking again. It can be hard, but you'll feel better after a few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why is it so awkward between me and this guy? We liked eachother and then it got too much so we called it off, but now we just completely avoid and ignore eachother and it is horribly awkward! Why is this???
    I know that feeling too well! Except neither of us have the balls to approach one another and now we don't see each other because it will get awkward as hell

Spending time apart is the best option. Once you've gotten over those feelings it'll become easier to spend time with each other and not feel hurt in the process.

ReputationRep:
    From experience the problem is that you don't really understand how both of you are feeling about one another anymore, so you try and hide it as some sort of safety measure, which creates the awkwardness. Spending time apart will let you forget about what was making you feel awkward in the first place and give you a clean slate.

However it's so so important to draw the line, getting caught up in the trap of going up and down constantly is destructive, if that happens just cut it off and move on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.