Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomis1804)
    And when they say the access points are 10mbit (and upgrading to 100mbit) what kind of speeds would actually be possible through them up and down?
    There is a contention ratio of 1:48, in other words you share that connection with another 48 users. This is the same for any ISP connection, it's not just HorNet. Speeds can fluctuate from the full 10mb upload and download depending on the time of day. Even at prime times though speeds are very fast!

Paul, after looking on the SopCast website the software they use is P2P and this is banned on the network. You'll be able to connect but it'll be throated (slow) and it's likely you'll be caught and charged the £70 fine with 56 day connection.

Just keep in mine it's the people around you that you'll be effecting, slowing down their connection if you're using P2P applications. For those who are arrogant enough to restrict other users through this type of activity, you will be caught.

ReputationRep:
    All rooms have an ethernet point to connect to the internet I believe

ReputationRep:
    You are correct, there is a current 10mb in your room. You will be able to use Xbox live, but you need to remember you can only use one machine on the internet at one time as routers, switch ect are banned. However if you update your PCs MAC address to the same as your Xbox then you can simply switch the cable each time instead of updating the MAC address each time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'll be staying in owens park tower and was wondering whether i'll have internet (or a washbasin if you know?) and if i have the internet, whether i'll be able to use xBox live?
    I was wondering when someone would ask this! Games? You should be studying! LOL. Only joking In fact it answers my question also, will i be able to use the Playstation Network on the Playstation 3. I know each room has ethernet but i do not wanna take bandwith away from other users. I would actually pay for the Broadband privelage. Is there any way i could do this?

Also i have seen a few have recieved their accomdation places. I have not yet recieved this. I accepted my offer on Friday through the website and was wondering how long it will take for them to get back to me. I read it could take weeks. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, all console gaming over the internet is fine. The bandwidth used by these consoles are not as bad as you might think. You don't need to pay for extra broadband, it's a 10mb line as standard which is more than enough for gaming, so you'll be fine! Just plug and play and have fun

Those with an Xbox, we need to Halo!

ReputationRep:
    Is it legal?

Are you allowed to download it in uni halls of residence, particulary uni of manchester?

TIA

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think so. Though just thought I'd let you know It ****s up your computer.

ReputationRep:
    No P2P software is allowed in the University of Manchester.

It is legal, as long as it isn't used to download copyrighted files. So, no doubt the purpose you wish to use it for is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't exactly see eye to eye with P2P software generally, it isn't possible to so much as access Limewire at my uni (Warwick).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemidoros)
    I wouldn't think so. Though just thought I'd let you know It ****s up your computer.
    :ditto:

It's a pile of ****, and not worth the hassle of setting it up at Uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maloy)
    Hi, i'll be staying in owens park tower and was wondering whether i'll have internet (or a washbasin if you know?) and if i have the internet, whether i'll be able to use xBox live?
    and yes, you have a sink in your room in Owens Park.

ReputationRep:
    What about wireless hotspots around the University? Do they restrict P2P software too? Are there any other wireless hotspots in the city that aren't bothered?

x x x

ReputationRep:
    There are indeed wireless hot spots dotted around the campus itself. However there are none in Halls. If you caught setting one up in your room, it can have pretty harsh consequences.

HorNet does restrict P2P software usage and this year there will not only be University of Manchester HorNet and CERT keeping an eye on P2P usage but also another company. At the risk of a £70-£100 fine and 56 day disconnection, just buy your music! There are loads of wireless hot spots around the city, just haven't used any myself.

ReputationRep:
    Is youtube and the like ok? Quite a lot of people upload tv shows on there now. Basically, are you allowed to visit any site and download anything (within reason) as long as you aren't downloading copyright material which you've not paid for?

ReputationRep:
    Any flash streaming site are fine, YouTube, Vioh (Not Vioh Player), Stage 6 ect. It's just P2P they're really not happy with because of A) Copyright B) It drains everyone elses bandwidth. Stage 6 is brilliant as you can download rather good quality films not involving P2P software.

ReputationRep:
    No bit torrent does not make me happy . Do a lot of people actually get busted using P2P software?

I guess I'll have to wait till year 2 and get a subscription of my own

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I felt the same last year, but at the chance of loosing my job alongside the standard fines and disconnection I haven't. After a month or so you find alternative ways, online rental companies, streaming sites, Rapid Share and the likes.

A good whack of people get busted. You need to remember the people around you, it's their bandwidth you'll be sucking up with P2P, so it's more arrogance then anything else. PLUS there are reps hired out each year in the halls and if they get a wiff of someone P2Ping you'll be fined and the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    xopa what about streaming football....im coming to manchester and i sometimes stream football matches using a program called sopcast. do u know if that is allowed?

ReputationRep:
    Sopcast, uses P2P technology and this is banned on the halls of residence network. Just remember though, there is going to be a television service provided over your internet connection called IPTV. This will offer all the freeview channels.

ReputationRep:
    Is the internet free of charge in Weston Hall?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.