Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    Sopcast, uses P2P technology and this is banned on the halls of residence network. Just remember though, there is going to be a television service provided over your internet connection called IPTV. This will offer all the freeview channels.
    But, you WILL have to buy a TV license as the company will inform them that you're watching TV.

I might uninstall utorrent and limewire from my computer before I go, just to make sure I don't end up forgetting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej)
    But, you WILL have to buy a TV license as the company will inform them that you're watching TV.

I might uninstall utorrent and limewire from my computer before I go, just to make sure I don't end up forgetting
    They do actually ask you to uninstall that kind of stuff - then you have to use a CD and scan your HD (I think it does that) for any P2P software. If there is any, you get blocked from the network, have your connection severed, have to pay a reconnection fee + fine, it's all very nasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    They do actually ask you to uninstall that kind of stuff - then you have to use a CD and scan your HD (I think it does that) for any P2P software. If there is any, you get blocked from the network, have your connection severed, have to pay a reconnection fee + fine, it's all very nasty.
    Excellent. It'll take me a while to make sure there's nothing there shouldn't be on my comp then :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    ^o)

I never had to do that. Besides, it would be silly (they still tolerate Skype f'instance, and it would be a bit off if they banned Opera)

They just block bittorrent from their end (I tried once, to see what happened, it wouldn't even let me download the torrent file)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana)
    ^o)

I never had to do that. Besides, it would be silly (they still tolerate Skype f'instance, and it would be a bit off if they banned Opera)

They just block bittorrent from their end (I tried once, to see what happened, it wouldn't even let me download the torrent file)
    Well, that's a bit more re-assuring.

I'll remove the stuff anyway just so I don't forget. Or, despite this comp not being *that* old, I may buy a laptop just for convenience.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by deej)
    Well, that's a bit more re-assuring.

I'll remove the stuff anyway just so I don't forget. Or, despite this comp not being *that* old, I may buy a laptop just for convenience.
    Last time I checked, the information on the website/CD just told you to remove the material from your sharing folder, not uninstall completely unless necessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana)
    Last time I checked, the information on the website/CD just told you to remove the material from your sharing folder, not uninstall completely unless necessary
    I'm starting to get paranoid about it all anyway, so this will stop me from using it even more

ReputationRep:
    The CD does not remove the software off your machine. Could you imagine the liability issues there! It's just a CD packed with useful nuggets of Hornety goodness!

IF, you run software that is of the P2P nature, the network will pick up on your actions automatically and then do you one, good and proper. In other words, banned! As mentioned before, fines, disconnection and like. It's nasty business. Monitoring for this type of activity is 24/7 with some rather nifty pieces of software. Big Brother is watching you!

ReputationRep:
    1. Is it ok to download series (eg. tv/animation) via direct download link?

2. is it ok to use rapidshare, megaupload, etc?

3. is exchange of things via messenger ie. msn messenger ok?

ReputationRep:
    This goes beyond P2P and just straight to copyright issues. It's less likely you'll be caught to be honest, but it'll be CERT who find you. CERT is a company whom monitor network traffic 24/7 265 days a year. If they find you downloading copyright material, the fines are increased.

ReputationRep:
    w8 a sec...sopcast is banned???? whhyyyy???? how the hell am i gonna watch the footy games on the weekend? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Lol it is. Erm, buy a TV license :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i will buy a tv licence since im taking a tv,,but all the footy games are on setana sports or sky sports...i doubt these are available in the halls...or are they? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizzie442)
    yeah i will buy a tv licence since im taking a tv,,but all the footy games are on setana sports or sky sports...i doubt these are available in the halls...or are they? :confused:
    If you really want setanta get a freeview box with TopUp TV capability ;yes;

Xopa - Do you know when the 100 days they don't monitor are? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how much the Hornet internet costs, i can't seem to find out on the site... thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    The cost of the accommodation includes all internet costs and various other residual costs, dnt know the exact price but go to this link and it will give u the info that ure looking for:

http://www.accommodation.manchester....netconnection/

hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Well,I see that people worry too much about online games and p2p software.But something really important that nobody asks!!!What about SKYPE and VOIP in general?It's something really important to be able to call our parents in low prices.How else can we contact them?Someone told me in the past that it's not feasible to use SKYPE in the Halls of Residence.I'd like to know the truth about it.Please if anyone knows let's tell me.

ReputationRep:
    Just as Rivaldo above me...I need to know have some info on SKYPE as well, as I'm bit of a phone addict.

I'm also interested to know if it is possible to use DC++ or mIRC? Any chance of some information on that as well. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about Skype, but you can always make voice calls over MSN now, which is good, but your parents will have to have MSN contact address and also a microphone.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I said at the start of the post that Skype was permitted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.