Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much would I need to download before I get in trouble? Usually I download about 5-10GB a week I hope thats not classed as a lot :confused:

IF, you run software that is of the P2P nature, the network will pick up on your actions automatically
    Would you mind elaborating on how this is acomplished? I just want to be sure I wont get caught out by accident.

ReputationRep:
    It's done by a company that monitors all network traffic 24/7 365 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on...in relation to CERT, I know people who all last year virtually lived off RapidShare when they were in their room. It's not P2P and the regulations don't say anything about RS as far as I remember...or does it?

ReputationRep:
    Well i have dumped all my stuff in my room today, and am moving in tomorrow. I Noticed the ethernet port in the wall and guessed it is for the whole "hornet" thing.

I have an olddddd computer which i am taking, and hope to build into it using parts from a friend. What other cable (Ethernet lead) do i need for it to have an internet connection?

And also, where can i buy one....?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I bought one at Oak House's bar for £3. Basically wherever they were handing out keys and stuff when you moved in maybe. As long as you have a standard network card and you're not running an ancient operating system you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    ok sorry if this has been asked before. if we're going to download stuff what do we do. peer to peer is blocked i know that. are we allowed to use things like rapidshare/megaupload?

ReputationRep:
    I also want to know if we can use websites like JOOX to stream tv shows from the US.

ReputationRep:
    P2P, as mentioned is a no no.

Rapidshare/megaupload, less chance of being caught by UoM (doesn't mean it's not still a high chance) but you'll be caught by CERT, in which the fines and disconnection period are both increased.

Joox is only a streaming site and is pretty much fine.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the response. another question, who is CERT?

ReputationRep:
    CERT is a department down in London monitoring network traffic 24/7, 265 days a year. It is pretty much a big brother situation! They mainly deal with copyright violation and illegal activities ect.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the regs on sharing stuff on the Hall's LAN? Loads of people in my accommodation are sharing itunes libraries, so how would the Uni view this? Are we likely to find problems, or will they let it slide since it's no worse than flatmates sharing CDs?

ReputationRep:
    Sharing iTunes libraries is okay far as I know cause you can't actually move the files from one computer to another, they're just streamed across the network.

ReputationRep:
    File sharing is blocked internally by the network servers. Again, it's a no apart from iTunes.

Put it this way, if you're having to ask the legitimacy of what you're downloading on the internet, in all likely-hood you shouldn't be. It's only a matter of time before you're found out.

Oh and nomis. If you try that on HorNet you WILL be banned. You're sharing your connection with another 47 users, therefore soaking up their bandwidth. It's just plain arrogance. There are not only non-human network monitors in place but also students hired out to support and monitor the network. For example posting where you live and then posting your intentions on the network your using... not a bright idea for a computing student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    Oh and nomis. If you try that on HorNet you WILL be banned. You're sharing your connection with another 47 users, therefore soaking up their bandwidth. It's just plain arrogance. There are not only non-human network monitors in place but also students hired out to support and monitor the network. For example posting where you live and then posting your intentions on the network your using... not a bright idea for a computing student.
    Haha nice to see I'm already being watched I certainly don't want to inconvenience anyone.
    On a slightly different note I'm having some trouble connecting to the vpn. It just says: "The remote peer is no longer responding" when I connect. Any ideas whats wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Can I download from livejournal communitites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomis1804)
    Haha nice to see I'm already being watched I certainly don't want to inconvenience anyone.
    On a slightly different note I'm having some trouble connecting to the vpn. It just says: "The remote peer is no longer responding" when I connect. Any ideas whats wrong?
    If that's peer to peer sharing it's not allowed.

Btw I kept getting messages saying [insert name]-pc found my WMP. I blocked file sharing but it was annoying and worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    P2P, as mentioned is a no no.

Rapidshare/megaupload, less chance of being caught by UoM (doesn't mean it's not still a high chance) but you'll be caught by CERT, in which the fines and disconnection period are both increased.
    Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, you mean that downloading copyrighted material from the direct download sites such as RS and MU and sendspace etc. could get you caught right?

Also, could someone answer these questions:
    1) Would constantly downloading large amounts (legal or not) get you noticed by the supervisor/monitoring people, and/or is there a limit to the amount you can download in a certain time period?
    2) Does hosting games online (computer) do anything to bandwidth or is it totally ok to do this?

ReputationRep:
    1) Last year someone was downloading a fair amount, and IT disconnected them.

2) You're not allowed to run any games servers on your computer. There is something on the UoM Hornet page about games servers though, take a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej)
    1) Last year someone was downloading a fair amount, and IT disconnected them.
    I would still like to know what a "fair amount" is... :confused:

ps. I just want to add that i'm in no way trying to inconvenience people by downloading loads its just I would like to know what people class as loads! I know people that download 100GB a month (god knows how).

ReputationRep:
    There is no "fair amount" when it comes to P2P, you'll be inconveniencing people around you whenever you decide to use it.

During my first year it nearly killed me not being about to use torrent. There are loads of alternatives though. Stage6 is brilliant for the latest shows at decent quality, plus the service downloads the episode you're watching for you straight to your machine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.