Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    There is no "fair amount" when it comes to P2P, you'll be inconveniencing people around you whenever you decide to use it.

During my first year it nearly killed me not being about to use torrent. There are loads of alternatives though. Stage6 is brilliant for the latest shows at decent quality, plus the service downloads the episode you're watching for you straight to your machine.
    So is Stage 6 allowed then??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    There is no "fair amount" when it comes to P2P, you'll be inconveniencing people around you whenever you decide to use it.

During my first year it nearly killed me not being about to use torrent. There are loads of alternatives though. Stage6 is brilliant for the latest shows at decent quality, plus the service downloads the episode you're watching for you straight to your machine.
    Oh so if i'm not using p2p then it shouldn't be an issue. Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    No no that isn't what I meant. Stage 6 uses cache and HTTP to download the episode you're watching so its fiiiiine. Stage 6 is brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    what about downloading say . .. 5gb a month on direct download? (e.g. megaupload.. etc.) is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, lets just end this conversation once and for all ^_^

Is it copyrighted? Yes? Then it won't matter how little or much you download, CERT will catch a sniff of your scent and will happily send the administrators your details for fines, disconnections, and introducing this year, prosecutions against you.

It's entirely up to you what you download, but it will be you who has to face the consequences when they occur.

Have fun

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay to download lossless (FLAC) files of legally bootlegged (i.e. where the artists allow it) concerts from blogs? e.g. http://www.nyctaper.com/

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with Hornet in the Hall of Resience where I live.Actualy yesterday I wanted to download something from rapidshare and I wasn't permitted to do it!!Rapidshare isn't a torrent application or a p2p programme.Why then I couldn't use it???

ReputationRep:
    Probably because they're catching on to the sites that people use to download things illegally.

If you want to get things, go into the city and just get them from HMV or Virgin. They seem to be having huge sales at the minute, so now would be a good time to stock up.

ReputationRep:
    i know that they say that things like joox and stage6 etc are not allowed - due to the fact that the stuff is copywrited etc. but they would have to say this really... in reality do you think people will mind if you watch the occasional episode or movie streamed?
    i know people in my flat have been doing it loads, and people who were here last year said no-one had any problems...

ReputationRep:
    So do they know exactly what websites you've been on? Can they read your email and stuff? It's all a bit scary...

What kind of websites can/ can't you go on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Citation)
    CERT is a department down in London monitoring network traffic 24/7, 265 days a year. It is pretty much a big brother situation! They mainly deal with copyright violation and illegal activities ect.
    Just for universities, or does it automatically pick up rapidshare use in all households?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Citation)
    Ok, lets just end this conversation once and for all ^_^

Is it copyrighted? Yes? Then it won't matter how little or much you download, CERT will catch a sniff of your scent and will happily send the administrators your details for fines, disconnections, and introducing this year, prosecutions against you.

It's entirely up to you what you download, but it will be you who has to face the consequences when they occur.

Have fun
    If you're talking about this: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...aleconomy.html

They haven't passed it yet, and I think it has a strong focus on P2P and uploaders rather than downloading / download websites...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump and old thread but just a few questions

I know p2p is banned so I shall not be using any of these, but I would like to know if using the TOR network or ultrasurf is also blocked? Also am I allowed to use my internet connection to host sites? Does anyone know if it's possible to watch stuff on http://tv.blinkx.com/ in halls?

I assume that being in the middle of a city means there are plenty of unencrypted or easily crackable wifi connections around so torrenting the odd thing outside of uni shouldn't be too hard.

Oh and one more question, if I'm using p2p to download something like a linux distro is this still banned?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heafymatt)
    Sorry to bump and old thread but just a few questions

I know p2p is banned so I shall not be using any of these, but I would like to know if using the TOR network or ultrasurf is also blocked? Also am I allowed to use my internet connection to host sites? Does anyone know if it's possible to watch stuff on http://tv.blinkx.com/ in halls?

I assume that being in the middle of a city means there are plenty of unencrypted or easily crackable wifi connections around so torrenting the odd thing outside of uni shouldn't be too hard.

Oh and one more question, if I'm using p2p to download something like a linux distro is this still banned?

Many thanks
    as far as streaming tv shows/movies online you'll get away with that no problem, everyone does it, the problem comes downloading these things, stear well clear

i wouldnt p2p/torrent ANYTHING legal or not its against the hornet rules, surprisingly there really isnt many accessible wifi networks that arent uni owned (same rules apply)

and no you cannot host websites/game servers/shells of any kind, not that you'd want too because you dont get an address that points to your own room so it just wouldn't work

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if using the TOR network or ultrasurf is also blocked
    TOR is P2P so I would think it would be banned.

(Original post by rogan)
    and no you cannot host websites/game servers/shells of any kind, not that you'd want too because you dont get an address that points to your own room so it just wouldn't work
    You do actually get a public IP address in the 130.88.*.* range, but you can't host anything from halls because pretty much everything is blocked by hornet.

Last time I checked hornet were filtering downloading of .torrent files, so it was impossible to download them in your room. Luckily you can use proxies and VPNs to do anything you want with your hornet connection, including downloading torrents.

One last note (and a shameless plug): you should contact the University of Manchester Computer Society (http://compsoc.man.ac.uk) if you want to run any particular servers, we might be able to help out, especially web hosting which we do free of charge for University of Manchester students.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.