Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Started first year at University, have an assignment on: What are arguments for and against software piracy. stuck with reasons FOR software piracy, affordability,is the only reason i can think of for software piracy.

ReputationRep:
    How about "does exactly what it says on the tin....or does it". If you buy software for a one-off specific purpose, for example, you have deleted something off your HDD and want to recover it. There is a chance that that software will not recover it.

Even if it does recover it do you really want to pay for software that you are only likely to use once.

ReputationRep:
    Some people may have bought software but disk is broken or lost - so may feel that software piracy is the way to be able to use the software they bought again

ReputationRep:
    Ability to bypass geolocking is always a major one; software are released just for x country and if you're not from there, and you need it you're screwed until company decides to release it in your country. Also with game companies who use *****y custom drm (no names mentioned, EA) pirated content is just so much more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

ReputationRep:
    Also length of license. Most anti-virus you pay for only comes with a 1 year licence. Same with Office 365.

ReputationRep:
    I own a massive physical music library and I want some of these songs on the go electronically.
    I could either spend tons of money on I tunes or spotify that does not even have all the songs I want. or pirate it.
    Some people feel that if they already own it why can they not get it again on a different medium

The argument could also be used for films.

Wanting to try something out, If I am not sure If I want to play a game I might try it out if there is no demo option by pirating it and giving it a go then buying it.

Some things are not available any more. There was a book my father was looking for and the only option was pirate it.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal resale could be a reason. Especially before sites like Pirate Bay and KAT PH were popular, people would pirate software and resell them for full price. It even still goes on today, many people buy a custom built PC and pay extra for what they think is a genuine version of Windows and end up being greeted with an unauthorised Windows notification.

(Here's me helping you while I'm too unmotivated to do my own assignments lmao)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.