Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice on boosting the chances of my application being accepted to RVC. I'm applying for the Bachelor in vetmed program and i have my heart set on it. I know thats the worst thing you can do since admittance to vet schools is so difficult

I contacted them and asked if taking more science courses would help but they said no, having more sciences doesn't impact my application. We are also only required to have like 4 weeks of animal experience. What else can I do to help my application??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgilb349)
    Does anyone have any advice on boosting the chances of my application being accepted to RVC. I'm applying for the Bachelor in vetmed program and i have my heart set on it. I know thats the worst thing you can do since admittance to vet schools is so difficult

I contacted them and asked if taking more science courses would help but they said no, having more sciences doesn't impact my application. We are also only required to have like 4 weeks of animal experience. What else can I do to help my application??
    Having more subjects than required is not an advantage, but having more than required work experience is.

And a huge one at that. I guess you will apply next year, and if so, my suggestion is to start booking internships very, very soon.
    Variety is the key; some placements are set in stone musts:
    -Vet clinic
    -Equine care (eg. stables, riding school)
    -Lambing
    -Dairy/beef farms
    -Shelter/kennel/cattery
    You will find these in the university's own website. I suggest at least a week's placement in each, and make it count! Learn from your experience, observe and don't forget to ask a lot of questions.
    What I suggest is after you are done, and if you have the opportunity to do so, swap! Stop working at one clinic and start your placement at another. I know it sounds like overkill but it worked surprisingly well for me to compare different methods of treatment/examination and interaction with owners. Exceeding the required time (by a month or a year or two) doesn't hurt either if you think you can manage. You don't have to of course but the more you go to a particular place, the more dedication you will show to the owners and you might even be given more important duties than cleaning up Lady's droppings and making coffee.

Apart from the required placements, if you can secure a placement at a lab, zoo or any other out of ordinary places, it will make an impact. It doesn't have to be a week or two, you can just go for an afternoon and it still counts! Note down any cases that interest you, bonus points if you do research on them!

For any kind of placement, do not forget that you will need references and Glasgow even asks for pictures! So take a lot of them (if you are allowed to, of course).

Apart from work experiences, make sure that you are a well rounded person. If you play an instrument, it surely doesn't hurt to have a grade certificate. Do voluntary work; set up study classes at school, organize charity events, prepare some cupcakes for an upcoming bake sale, spebd an afternoon reading to the elderly, anything you do to contribute to the others count!
    You can also attend youth conferences and debate clubs to work on your public speaking, you can be the host of a school talebt show, for example. If you are lucky enough to have a MUN conference around, attend it!
    If you are good with sports, join a team. If you lead it, that's even better!

My point is, anything counts. It's not just about being an academic mastermind. Be well rounded, contribute to your society. Don't forget to work on skills the school demands such as empathy.

And most importantly, do not lose believing in yourself, as that is the biggest motivations that will enable you to succeed.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the reply! I really appreciate it.

My concern is I am currently attending school in Norway and shadowing vets is basically not allowed here. Im hoping i can do some things over the summer when I'm home but it doesnt seem like it will be enough to make up for so much lost time.
    Thats also why I was hoping that taking some more science classes could help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgilb349)
    Thanks so much for the reply! I really appreciate it.

My concern is I am currently attending school in Norway and shadowing vets is basically not allowed here. Im hoping i can do some things over the summer when I'm home but it doesnt seem like it will be enough to make up for so much lost time.
    Thats also why I was hoping that taking some more science classes could help.
    Perhaps you can undertake the other experiences and leave the vet shadowing to summer?

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats a good idea I will try to become more involved at school in the next semester and up my hours volunteering at the shelter.

Thank you so much!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.