The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanB1991
x

Go back to quick-googling theguardian.

And "have I ever read council 'criteria?'"

Again proving you're here just to argue and have no facts nor any clue what I know or what I have gone through as stated clearly in black and white umpteen times. I have not only read it, I've not needed to read it since I've been subjected to it.

Please boredom-browse another forum.
Original post by 0to100
and lmao "quick google search" which exposes you as uninformed that you have to quick google search and aren't confident with knowledge you have on your own already

and then on top of that, he picks theguardian. I'm being trolled by pseudo-intellectual social justice warriors. What fine day this is.

Right great Ad hominem there....

Well don't ask for sources then when you fail to provide a single one yourself. At the moment you just sound like some skinhead who shouts at polish people to go home.
You guys can disagree with me all you like.

It's only egg on your face in the end. My OP wasn't even an opinion. It was facts. If you're mad at me, you're mad at the facts.

Which is actually what I wanted. I'm also clearly mad at the facts.

But based on my av, people hypocritically judge me as being mad at foreigners and not council.

I don't like either. :biggrin: I am entitled to not appreciate the ignored migrant crisis (that's what it's called) AND I am right to be mad at the bureaucrats working for council under the gov't for the homeless crisis.

If you missed that point which I clearly made, I've really got nothing left to say.
Original post by Crassy
I always had my suspicions about this. I would be surprised if it didn't extend to non-whites generally getting priority over whites. The vast majority of homeless people I see are white British, even in London. I would assume there are ethnic groups with higher rates of unemployment and drug use so how to explain the discrepancy?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/24/uk-homelessness-rising-faster-among-minority-ethnic-groups-labour-says

homelessness rose 21% and 33% among black and Asian households, respectively, compared with 7% in general population
Original post by 0to100
Go back to quick-googling theguardian.

And "have I ever read council 'criteria?'"

Again proving you're here just to argue and have no facts nor any clue what I know or what I have gone through as stated clearly in black and white umpteen times. I have not only read it, I've not needed to read it since I've been subjected to it.

Please boredom-browse another forum.

So the Critera 101.

First
have a right to live in the UK and are eligible for assistance
are legally homeless
are in priority need

For long term housing the individual cannot be intentionally homeless.

Second eligability for EU workers
They are eligible for assistance if they're working in the UK. Work does not need to be full-time. They still qualify if they are doing genuine part-time work but need to top up their income with state benefits. Self-employment also counts.

They are also eligible for assistance in some situations when they have stopped working, if they:
are temporarily not able to work because of pregnancy, or an illness or accident
have lived in the UK for more than two years, have been working but have had to stop because of permanent incapacity
had to stop work following an industrial accident or disease and are entitled to certain UK disability benefits
have lived in the UK for at least three years and have retired after working in the UK for at least 12 months

They could also be eligible for assistance for up to six months if they lost their job through no fault of their own and have registered as a jobseeker with JobCentre Plus. They may be eligible for assistance for longer if they had worked in the UK for at least a year and have a genuine chance of finding a job.

However they still need to fill the criteria raised in the first point. By comparison those wanting emergency accommodation who are UK nationals do not need a history of work.

Third eligibility for non EU individuals

They must have indefinite leave to remain or be asylum seekers. And they then must fulfil the same criteria as UK citizens. Anyone else has to contact immigration or their embassy.

Now can you find any step and show via council or government policy where non UK nationals can skip ahead above UK citizens? I believe others have already linked the relevant sites on the first page.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yeezyyy
Are you that much of a scrounging pleb to not fulfil such simple terms and get emergency housing? lmao.

The world is cruel, you're not going to get everything given to you, and it will swallow you up if you start blaming your problems on others.

Original post by yeezyyy
And we're all entitled to not care about your lazy arse.

I'm a 3rd yr at uni and not even on benefits, keyboard gangster :yy:

Oh wait you're greatguy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100

It's only egg on your face in the end. My OP wasn't even an opinion. It was facts. If you're mad at me, you're mad at the facts.

But based on my av, people hypocritically judge me as being mad at foreigners and not council.

I don't like either. :biggrin: I am entitled to not appreciate the ignored migrant crisis (that's what it's called) AND I am right to be mad at the bureaucrats working for council under the gov't for the homeless crisis.

If you missed that point which I clearly made, I've really got nothing left to say.

You are yet to post any fact nor have you posted any sources for those facts!!!! :lol:

God lets hope you enter primary education at some point.....
Reply 67
Original post by 0to100

Your ******** has been debunked and you still assert it as facts? LOOOOL. Stop.
Original post by Politricks
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/24/uk-homelessness-rising-faster-among-minority-ethnic-groups-labour-says

homelessness rose 21% and 33% among black and Asian households, respectively, compared with 7% in general population

they're still British citizens. Do you really think a homeless undocumented migrant is included in those stats?????? :rofl: Come on use your head, if you dare.
You quoted Crasy saying British citizens.

Not WHITE.

My point remains. Homelessness rose 300% in 2013, facts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Black
white
brown

whatever colour

they are still British.

Homelessness is only based on documented citizens. They can't be based on foreigners or migrants as majority are not documented and/or they're not citizens so why or how would they be counted?? :rolleyes:

Obviously homeless statistics is based on British citizens no matter their colour so all this drivel about racism is ridiculous because it actually shows how uninformed you are if you say that. And how judgmental you really are.

Did you guys ironically forget in you sjw whinging that blacks and Asians count as British? And whilst clearly forgetting did you in your ignorance presume I did not include Black and Asians into account for BRITISH homelessness ALL BECAUSE OF MY AVATAR? Now who's the racist????

My knowledge is being wasted on pseudo-sjws.

Also if my issue is supposedly against *EU Nationals*...

they are white as well.. So *how* am I racist??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by 0to100
Black
white
brown

whatever colour

they are still British.

Homelessness is only based on documented citizens. They can't be based on foreigners or migrants as majority are not documented and/or they're not citizens so why or how would they be counted?? :rolleyes:

Obviously homeless statistics is based on British citizens no matter their colour so all this drivel about racism is ridiculous because it actually shows how uninformed you are if you say that. And how judgmental you really are.Did you guys ironically forget in you sjw whinging that blacks and Asians count as British? And whilst clearly forgetting did You in your ignorance presume I did not include Black and Asians into account for BRITISH homelessness ALL BECAUSE OF MY AVATAR? Now who's the racist????

The irony is that the facts show that it is actually easier for british citizens to get emergency homing :biggrin:

You've failed to push your xenophobic agenda miserably.
Original post by zippyRN
Most street homeless are there through choice ... that is the reality .

they chose to relocate to an area that doesn't have statutroy responsibility
they chose anti social behaviours over emergency accomodation
they chose drug misuse over emergency accomodation
they chose excessive alcohol use over emergency accomodation

then of course there are those who find themselves in acute general hospital with a serious problem and while in there are all nicely set up with social services and housing and then promptly chose to abandon the property and go back o nthe streets ...

Not true not true not true. Say it like you mean it bro, cos you ain't been there? And we have!
Original post by john2054
Not true not true not true. Say it like you mean it bro, cos you ain't been there? And we have!

lol hi john

don't even bother.

Realistically over the last 5 years it's the main difference to those sleeping rough compared to homeless. While I wouldn't personally use the term 'choice', it's incredibly hard for a non violent individual to sleep rough these days.

Obviously you get some who fall through the net, but there is a noticeable difference between homeless and sleeping rough, which that poster (as do most people) don't often recognize.
Original post by zippyRN
EU nationals with established ties and links to the local community ? workign and paying UK tax ?

the law treats these people pretty much identically to British citizens and others with IDLR and recourse to public funds

i don;t think you understand how prioritisation for social housing works and you also think that playing the disability card should be a magic pass ...

No, like usual you are one of the people that has double standards and cherry picks what you want to believe.

Point 1 being that they believe they are ENTITLED to one automatically and theres people that have been on waiting list for years so yes I think the person waiting years should get one over people that come across here and pay short term taxes, decide to start a family then say that makes them priority, I would also have problems with UK born people expecting a property just because they want to start a family also.

Did I say disability should be a magic pass? I swear the limited comprehension of people these days, anyway point 2 there being you have people with disabilities who are seen as low priority, and me personally I have paid into the system for years. why should disablity which you have no choice in, severely afffects your everyday life be seen as lower priority than someone who opens their legs and expects a house out of it?

I know fine well about how the system works since I grew up in a council house and brother had a housing association flat when younger in fact when I was HOMELESS aged 19 when landlord illegally evicted me I was given no help but youth service told me and even was whispering to lie about being a drug addict/alcoholic or having a girl pregnant to get a property same day.

My parents despite having heavy health problems had to wait 8 years (and this was in the early 90s they finally got one) and were told accept this one or wait another 8 years back then and thats same town where you get one instant for being a druggie or getting pregnant so imagine how hard it works now.

As it happens I have points to get a council house, the only way to get enough points to be priority is to hand in my notice, would get even more if landlord wanted me out.

Council themselves say due to my disability I am put down for 2 bedroom properties, but most local HA said 1 bedroom is what I am entitled to.

Yet the wealthy guy upstairs with a BMW got put as priority due to the state of his property (that he knew the state of when he moved in), the same guy that goes abroad for long periods.

Me being older than you and having years of experience with social work, disability, social housing would mean I would know the system better than someone who just reads information and takes it at face value, I am the one who has real world experience.
Realistically over the last 5 years it's the main difference to those sleeping rough compared to homeless. While I wouldn't personally use the term 'choice', it's incredibly hard for a non violent individual to sleep rough these days.

Obviously you get some who fall through the net, but there is a noticeable difference between homeless and sleeping rough, which that poster (as do most people) don't often recognize.

No Dan you are just another 'warrior'. The thing is some of us, me and oto included, have actually been there and got blessed in the t shirt. As in we have gone, through periods. of not having a roof to sleep under. Whether this is because we hit our mum's, or failed to pay the rent, or upset the landlord for some other trivial matter, makes no difference. It's kind of like losing your virginity, until it happens to you, you can't talk about it,

Homelessness is a sad fact of life, that no body likes, and all of us want to avoid. It is also easy to presume that it will 'never happen to you'. So let's just pray that it doesn't okay? Thanks!
No Dan you are just another 'warrior'. The thing is some of us, me and oto included, have actually been there and got blessed in the t shirt. As in we have gone, through periods. of not having a roof to sleep under. Whether this is because we hit our mum's, or failed to pay the rent, or upset the landlord for some other trivial matter, makes no difference. It's kind of like losing your virginity, until it happens to you, you can't talk about it,

Homelessness is a sad fact of life, that no body likes, and all of us want to avoid. It is also easy to presume that it will 'never happen to you'. So let's just pray that it doesn't okay? Thanks!

Until it happens to you..... yeah nice try, was homeless at 19 :wink: emergency housing that very night, scared me to death.... My mother in her mid 20's, same situation. Partially why I was so interested in the issue when I eventually went to university.
Until it happens to you..... yeah nice try, was homeless at 19 :wink: emergency housing that very night, scared me to death.... My mother in her mid 20's, same situation. Partially why I was so interested in the issue when I eventually went to university.

Being homeless means you don't have a roof over your head for that night, so therefore you can't be homeless with emergency housing that same night, it is an oxymoron. Nice try though?!?
anyway my thread wasn't even about defending homeless people, I just had to keep reiterating a point with everyone coming in insulting and not reading

my main issue is the reason behind the housing crisis affecting Brits of ALL colours

and the reason is: council prioritising non-citizens over citizens.

In no way does this blame foreigners.

I made that clear the 1st time, seriously.
Reply 79

oh boohoo. Being homeless doesnt change the fact that british people still get priority over foreigners under the current emergency housing system.

Latest