Eesha_Dev
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For English, we are going to have to write a Gothic story in the Victorian style but the thing is, I am not sure how to write in a Gothic OR Victorian style! I was wondering if some people could give me some ideas on themes to base my story on, perhaps some short examples of Gothic stories in Victorian style, etc. Anything to help me
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
hahaha I would write something realistic and slightly mystical, kind of like Edgar Allen Poe's the Raven
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eesha_Dev)
For English, we are going to have to write a Gothic story in the Victorian style but the thing is, I am not sure how to write in a Gothic OR Victorian style! I was wondering if some people could give me some ideas on themes to base my story on, perhaps some short examples of Gothic stories in Victorian style, etc. Anything to help me
I would ignore the "Victorian style" - you're not a writer so your teacher shouldn't be expecting you to write in such a style.

Themes in a Gothic story include; doom, horrible/bad/depressing weather (pathetic fallacy), dungeons, blood, murder in cold blood, ghosts and ghouls, demons, vampires, monsters and beasts. A lot of superstitious stuff. The antithesis of religion.

I don't know what year you are in so I won't go into unnecessary detail if you're in year 8.

But above, is the gist of what common things you'd find in a Gothic story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads