Turn on thread page Beta

Geography or English Lit (sociology + psychology) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of choosing my A Levels
    I definitely want to do sociology and psychology - opinions on how people find that would be great

My only problem is I don't know if I want to do English Lit or Geography since I find them both really interesting.
    Something that's making me more geared to choosing Geography is that I'm not too sure how easy English will be since the teachers at my school don't push me enough.
    Can anyone just let me know how they find the subjects and what they're like, how you're finding them? Are you struggling with topics? etc...

Thankuuuu

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing a'level eng lit right now and i guess it depends on the exam board (i'm doing ocr) but it's tough. exams are all closed book and a lot of emphasis on learning and applying secondary sources and essays, man they suck. but it's really enjoyable and interesting. it's worth it, if it's what you want to do. i haven't taken geography since pre-gcse but i know friends who take a'level geography and they all say it's very interesting if you have a passion for it.
    really, just go with your instincts. you should have opportunities closer to the time of starting a'level where you can get a feel for each subject by doing practice lessons, a'level work, etc. if you're five weeks into the first term and regret what you've chosen and want to eject yourself from sixth form, you can always change (that's what i did) - it's not set in stone forever and so i wouldn't worry too much about it! there's plenty of time until you have to make a final decision and plenty of help that your school can provide you to help make the choice easier. don't be afraid to ask questions to your subject teachers about a'levels either!
    i wish you good luck and i hope my advice proved helpful!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by HelenaAsia)
    I'm currently in the process of choosing my A Levels
    I definitely want to do sociology and psychology - opinions on how people find that would be great

My only problem is I don't know if I want to do English Lit or Geography since I find them both really interesting.
    Something that's making me more geared to choosing Geography is that I'm not too sure how easy English will be since the teachers at my school don't push me enough.
    Can anyone just let me know how they find the subjects and what they're like, how you're finding them? Are you struggling with topics? etc...

Thankuuuu
    Teacher's are supposed to inspire you not push you. You need to motivate yourself!

Like any A-level, you make it as easy or hard as how much effort you put into it. I think, ultimately a good way to decide if you want to study Lit at A-level is ask your teacher what texts do they study. Maybe pick 2 or 3 out of the 8 and (you study 4 each year) and get them and read them from now until next year and see. Maybe read one play and one novel. Don't read the Shakespeare, read a different play they study. Then decide based on whether you liked what you read and ask yourself can I be happy to analyse this same page 6 times with critics, literary theory and use a bunch of advanced linguistic and literary terminologies.

Good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.