The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

AntiLiberal
If they are banned from being a member of one party they should be banned from being a member of ANY party.

Agreed.
Reply 121
an Siarach
Agreed.

I think it is possibly more because of some of the racist undertones of the BNP that policemen are banned from joineing. However much i despise what the BNP stands for I agree that Policemen shouldn't be banned from joining a legitamate political party. However as there is such a high incidence of racisim in the BNP they should maybe be interviewed or something like that to determine if they are racist and if so weather it will effect their work. Because aslong as they are still unbiased then there is no problem.
randdom
I think it is possibly more because of some of the racist undertones of the BNP that policemen are banned from joineing. However much i despise what the BNP stands for I agree that Policemen shouldn't be banned from joining a legitamate political party. However as there is such a high incidence of racisim in the BNP they should maybe be interviewed or something like that to determine if they are racist and if so weather it will effect their work. Because aslong as they are still unbiased then there is no problem.

Its simply the hypocrisy that irritates me. Id have no problem with the BNP being a no go area for police if the state were to admit our society is not as free as they like to pretend.
Reply 123
AntiLiberal
If they are banned from being a member of one party they should be banned from being a member of ANY party.

If you read my earlier post you will see that they are not allowed to be a member of ANY political party. As far as the BNP are concerned, the police cannot be a member of this party beacuse it is a political group, and also because it it would contravene the legal duty of the police service towards promoting race relations.
Reply 124
NDGAARONDI
Can't civil servants strike?

As far as I am aware ordinary civil servants have the right to strike. However, the police are 'Subjects of the Crown' and therefore have different conditions of employment to ordinary 'employees'
Reply 125
an Siarach
Its simply the hypocrisy that irritates me. Id have no problem with the BNP being a no go area for police if the state were to admit our society is not as free as they like to pretend.

I'm not sure the 'state' do pretend we are free citizens. With rights come responsibilites- to ourselves and to each other. I believe some big brother tactics are necessary to protect our security (to a certain extent) and also to prevent anarchy. Unfortunatley we live in a society that would not always behave civilly if given the freedom you suggest.
Reply 126
Nikki J S
As far as I am aware ordinary civil servants have the right to strike. However, the police are 'Subjects of the Crown' and therefore have different conditions of employment to ordinary 'employees'

What rot! We are all HM's Subjects, not just the police.
Nikki J S
I'm not sure the 'state' do pretend we are free citizens. With rights come responsibilites- to ourselves and to each other. I believe some big brother tactics are necessary to protect our security (to a certain extent) and also to prevent anarchy. Unfortunatley we live in a society that would not always behave civilly if given the freedom you suggest.

Security and BNP rights are 2 different things. I mean COME ON, arent britons intelligent enough to make their own decisions? So what if a couple of BNP members are racists, theres a sheetload (pardon the pun) of racists in all parties. The MOST racist people in all the world are liberals.
Reply 128
AntiLiberal
Security and BNP rights are 2 different things. I mean COME ON, arent britons intelligent enough to make their own decisions? So what if a couple of BNP members are racists, theres a sheetload (pardon the pun) of racists in all parties. The MOST racist people in all the world are liberals.

I have a question....the BNP say that if they were in power they would voluntarirly resettle immigrants along with cash incentives - does that only apply to immigrants from different ethnic minorities, a second generation brit whose roots may be in Bangladeshi (for arguments sake) has the same status as myself (a white british male) therefore does that mean that we are both equally able to take up the offer of being voluntarily resettled?

Will the governement pay for me to go and live in Jamaica for example? Why not are they not therefore discriminating against the white man?
Reply 129
Lord Huntroyde
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1270548,00.html

"Police chiefs yesterday warned all officers that they would be sacked if they belonged to the British National party.
How are they going to know who supports the BNP and who doesn't? Do we have to introduce another page on the application form asking for "political outlook"? I thought individuals had every right to keep their political views confidential. When I go to the polling station no-one asks me who I've just voted for!

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) outlawed joining the BNP for police and staff in England and Wales. The president, Chris Fox, said he was "extremely pleased" by the move.
Another big fat tick in the equalities box?! Not really accepting diversity though if you ban a group of people based purely on their beliefs. :rolleyes:

"Under this policy no member of the police service, whether police officer or police staff, may be a member of an organisation whose constitution, aims, objectives or pronouncements contradict the general duty to promote race equality.
Even if someone does support the BNP it's totally wrong to assume that they would be so unprofessional as to allow their political opinions to affect their work. If this is the case, the assumption should be spread over every political party, and every other job. Labour supporters children may be corrupted if they go to a school where the headteacher is conservative?? Therefore teachers should have to declare their political beliefs... As far as I'm concerned people can have whatever beliefs they want, so long as the beliefs don't dominate in a work situation, where the individual is representing their organisation, not themselves.

If the government says they're striving for tolerance and acceptance of diversity they can't then exclude groups of people from this!! Pathetic!
Kid A

As much as I hate the BNP, this is entirely unfair and basically just strengthens the base. When their leader said a couple of weeks back that Islam was a 'wickid faith' he wasn't doing anything wrong - there are many unpalatable facets of Islam, just as there are Christianity - and if it had been another faith he lambasted, there probably wouldn't have been quite the furore there was.

Oh, Incitement to Racist Violence mustn't be a crime anymore then?

Let anyone join the BNP. Let them deliver their leaflets, canvas anywhere they want, speak anywhere they want about anyone they choose. That's the only way you can defeat them.

Have you read a BNP leaflet? It openly declares racist views. At the end of the day the British Police should not be part of an organisation whose central line condones, nay, promotes racial inequality. Why? Because police officers are required by law to be racially impartial. I don't see how they can do that whilst being a member of this organisation. The fact that the BNP is a 'recognised political party' means nothing as their is no formality or criteria in gaining recognition - the Monster Raving Looney Party are also a recognised political party.
Reply 131
ChemistBoy
Oh, Incitement to Racist Violence mustn't be a crime anymore then?

Have you read a BNP leaflet? It openly declares racist views. At the end of the day the British Police should not be part of an organisation whose central line condones, nay, promotes racial inequality. Why? Because police officers are required by law to be racially impartial. I don't see how they can do that whilst being a member of this organisation. The fact that the BNP is a 'recognised political party' means nothing as their is no formality or criteria in gaining recognition - the Monster Raving Looney Party are also a recognised political party.

That's right. And if PC Plod wants to become a party activist for Screaming Lord Such in his spare time then that's his business.
Reply 132
Howard
What rot! We are all HM's Subjects, not just the police.

Yes, we are all subjects of the crown in this country. However, if you wish to research the conditions of service for police officers you will find that they have different conditions of employment under this title, than do ordinary employees. Similar to those who serve in the forces, they have to take an oath of allegiance to the crown on joining the service, which then prevents them from striking, joining unions etc.

Do a bit of reading and find out about the subject before spouting insults that are not based on any understandiong of how the police work!!
Reply 133
Howard
That's right. And if PC Plod wants to become a party activist for Screaming Lord Such in his spare time then that's his business.

Unfortunately it's not his/her business. If he/she wants to become a police officer then they agree to accept the conditions of service, which means you do not join a political party and you are legally obliged to promote race equality. If you don't want to accept these conditions, don't join - simple as!
Reply 134
Nikki J S
Yes, we are all subjects of the crown in this country. However, if you wish to research the conditions of service for police officers you will find that they have different conditions of employment under this title, than do ordinary employees. Similar to those who serve in the forces, they have to take an oath of allegiance to the crown on joining the service, which then prevents them from striking, joining unions etc.

Do a bit of reading and find out about the subject before spouting insults that are not based on any understandiong of how the police work!!

But that doesn't prevent them from joining a political party. And, BTW, I used to be a cop so be quiet.
Reply 135
Howard
But that doesn't prevent them from joining a political party. And, BTW, I used to be a cop so be quiet.

Of course you did -that's why you are so knowledgeable on the subject!!

My uncle is a CURRENT chief of police and says you are not correct.
Reply 136
Nikki J S
Of course you did -that's why you are so knowledgeable on the subject!!

My uncle is a CURRENT chief of police and says you are not correct.

Perhaps your imaginary Uncle can point out exactly where he gets the idea that a condition of service is not to join a political party as you stated below.
Reply 137
Howard
Perhaps your imaginary Uncle can point out exactly where he gets the idea that a condition of service is not to join a political party as you stated below.

You don't know what this persons Uncle does and doesn't do. Why make the assumption that this Uncle doesn't exist?
Reply 138
randdom
You don't know what this persons Uncle does and doesn't do. Why make the assumption that this Uncle doesn't exist?

For kicks & giggles.
The way I see it...

a) If you have an extreme political view, you should not be allowed into the police force unless you can act in a professional manner and seperate your personal views from your work. Seeing that the police have such responsibility among members of all communities, they need to be able to act as fairly as they can.

b) Banning BNP members from any institution/service/group etc will most probably make them much more of a problem. I can see why they chose this stance but in the end, it amounts to starting a political war and the BNP will be able to use this to their advantage.

c) This is to show the government are serious about tackling the issue of racism within the police force. They needed to show that something was being "done" about it in the light of all the bad press surrounding the issue. Of course, it's easy to say "we're banning the BNP" instead of actually sorting out the problem. Bit like finding out ur bike has a puncture...then going to buy a new one at Halford's...

d) I don't agree with banning the BNP from the police force and vice versa. I think that it will just make members resentful and if anything make the party stronger. I've had run-ins with BNP members who are absolute bastards as a mixed race lad (jamaican/white) n even I can say that to ban police officers and teachers from being BNP members is wrong. If they can be professional about it, they can follow whatever they want in their spare time.

Latest

Trending

Trending