Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some friends and I are considering developing a simple app for students with easy cheap recipes on it - would this be useful? What would you like to cook? Prices and any feedback please
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by GreatPerson)
    Some friends and I are considering developing a simple app for students with easy cheap recipes on it - would this be useful? What would you like to cook? Prices and any feedback please
    I made one for my dissertation while at uni. The problem is, there are so many recipe apps out there, so you need to find features that are new, interesting and are appealing to students. What features are you going to have? If it's just a simple search then I can't see it being any different to any other app. You said it's aimed at students so you should base your ideas around that, something easy to use that has prices perhaps? So you would need to source your prices too.

Where are you going to get recipes from? Good recipe apps have thousands or even millions of recipes. There are recipe websites that have an API but a lot of them are paid. The one I used is called Yummly, but you have to be a student and you get very limited amount of calls (alternatively, you can purchase a package but it is very expensive). Look around and you may find something for free.

If you are releasing it on Android then there are many tools you can use to help build an app with a really nice GUI. Use Google's material design as well, they come with matching colour palettes that will make your app nice to look at.

It is a good idea though, but only if you do it well

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.