what would be a good A level for me i want to work in mental health

Watch
Tia_xx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to work in mental health like a psychiatrist something along them lines am in year 11 soon to be leaving 8 months sound long but is not so I need help ino am going to do psychology A level not sure what else thanks guys x
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tia_xx)
I want to work in mental health like a psychiatrist something along them lines am in year 11 soon to be leaving 8 months sound long but is not so I need help ino am going to do psychology A level not sure what else thanks guys x
Maybe you'd find something like sociology or chemistry interesting?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tia_xx)
Psychiatrists deal with mental illness rather than mental health.

If you wish to pursue Psychiatry as a career, then you first need to make sure you have high grades in your main GCSEs (English, Maths and triple Science). Once you've done your GCSEs, you'll go onto A-level. In order to be a psychiatrist, you'll need to study Medicine at uni which means you need to do Biology and either/or Chemistry and Physics (the former seems like the obvious choice). Then you can pick psychology as an A-level. Once A-levels are over, you'd go to Med School for 5 years, then you'd train in psychiatry for another 3-5 years before actually becoming a licensed psychiatrist.

Alternatively, if you wish to pursue a career in mental health; you should take Biology and Psychology - although Biology isn't necessary for most universities. You can either do Psychology or Biology or even Mental Health Nursing as your undergraduate degree. Then, you could always do a MA and/or PhD in Abnormal Psychology or Clinical Psychology. People do say a Psychology degree is pretty useless if you want to get into a psychology career as many require you to have a MA or PhD in the field.

There's many different forms of mental health; forensics, children and adolescent, adult and pensioners (looking to things like dementia, and those types of neurological diseases).

You could even go into neurology if you wanted to do that as a degree, then go into clinical psychology (brain patterns, absences, experiments and research basically).

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads