Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm currently a Finance Apprentice studying towards AAT Level 2; my contract ends August 2017. When my contract ends I can't decide whether to continue with my AAT or go to uni to study a finance related degree.

I understand many accounting employers much prefer experience over degrees, but I want to go to uni for future career prospects, to have a degree behind me and to show that I am serious about a Finance career - not to mention the "uni life" experience!

I decided to do an apprenticeship before uni to get some work experience behind me, as well as the relevant qualification. Rather than going straight to uni then struggle to find work due to lack of experience. At least if I did go to uni I'd have a slight upper hand having had a years solid work experience, a relevant qualification, and the degree to go along with it.

Another concern of mine is I don't want to get to the age of say 50, look back and all I've done is worked. I'm only 21 I feel I have the whole future ahead of me to work. Why not go to uni now whilst I'm young? I have no commitments; I feel if I do go to uni now is the time to do it. But on the other hand, I hear of many finance employers taking finance graduates on and getting them to study towards AAT/ACCA anyway. I feel this kind of defeats the object of uni as they could've just done AAT to begin with.

Sorry for such a long winded thread - I'm quite an indecisive person as some of you may have already picked up! But given my circumstances/thoughts is it worth going to uni or sticking with the AAT route?

Any replies will be appreciated

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're doing really well at the moment, if you can find a apprenticeship that extends to AAT3/AAT4 that would be great. It would be even better if you could find an apprenticeship that offers the ACCA/CIMA qualification.

As you mentioned, now is the time to go to uni when you are young and have the strength to commit to education.

It doesn't defeat the object if you're already part qualified, consider it an advantage over other potential candidates!
    hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.