The Student Room Group

Work doesn't like that I'm interviewing

Hi all,

Due to personal circumstances with finances and also a desire to start progressing in my career - I started interviewing for new jobs.

I told my colleagues and boss from the beginning, thinking honesty is the best choice as they're very nice people and a good team to work for.

I've gone to interviews and received offers (rejections too) and turned them down because I want to make sure I'm leaving the security of this job to go to something right for me. However, my colleagues have clearly been talking behind closed doors and are not pleased about my laxed approach to finding new work.

I'm always pleasant and say i love my job but I need a change. Keep them in loop about interviews. However many conversations have been going on in meeting rooms without me, and my work is now starting to be more heavily criticised.

Colleagues have asked me various times how many more interviews are you planning to go to?
And telling me that I can't have my cake and eat it and need to either stay or leave. They say they can see my heart isn't in the job, And if I'm not going to put my all in I should just leave on the first offer. THEN they say i need to do what's right for me and not accept a job if it's worse than this one!

I'm getting totally mixed signals and now know i can't trust anyone in my office as everything I said is spread around. I thought honesty was the best approach so they'd know id respect them - but now I'm just uncomfortable in my work place.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

Due to personal circumstances with finances and also a desire to start progressing in my career - I started interviewing for new jobs.

I told my colleagues and boss from the beginning, thinking honesty is the best choice as they're very nice people and a good team to work for.

I've gone to interviews and received offers (rejections too) and turned them down because I want to make sure I'm leaving the security of this job to go to something right for me. However, my colleagues have clearly been talking behind closed doors and are not pleased about my laxed approach to finding new work.

I'm always pleasant and say i love my job but I need a change. Keep them in loop about interviews. However many conversations have been going on in meeting rooms without me, and my work is now starting to be more heavily criticised.

Colleagues have asked me various times how many more interviews are you planning to go to?
And telling me that I can't have my cake and eat it and need to either stay or leave. They say they can see my heart isn't in the job, And if I'm not going to put my all in I should just leave on the first offer. THEN they say i need to do what's right for me and not accept a job if it's worse than this one!

I'm getting totally mixed signals and now know i can't trust anyone in my office as everything I said is spread around. I thought honesty was the best approach so they'd know id respect them - but now I'm just uncomfortable in my work place.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I wouldn't talk to them about your interviews anymore. Just try and change the subject if they bring it up, and eventually it should blow over. I can see why they might be unhappy or feel uncomfortable, but that doesn't make it right to treat you badly because of it. Just try and keep chat away from you trying to find another job, at least for now
Learn from your mistakes. You can't fix things here now, unless you stop interviewing and stay for several months people will just assume the situation hasn't changed even if you don't talk about it. If you go to a doctors app etc epople will assume it's another interview and so on. It's better to stop talking about it anyway as it can be unpleasant for your colleagues for it to sound like you don't want to be there. People don't like it to look like you have one foot out the door and you're dragging it out. Next time you want to job search don't tell anyone.
I think you have been a bit naive and not assessed your colleagues well enough. Their reaction is only natural.
You are in a team. You are looking to abandon them and they are left behind. Not unnatural to feel a bit of resentment from them for not feeling ood enough. Plenty of them might like to leave as well. Best no tub their noses in it.

Thats why i'd have kept ir qyuet, unless i could really trust them and just told them at the end when it was decided.
Reply 4
I think it was me being naive and stupid TBH.
Unfortunately due to my contract, I don't get annual leave but scheduled holidays so I can't just book a day off like anyone else would. I had to tell them as I was going for mutiple interviews, and too "many dr apps" would just get silly. This then has to be signed by mutiple Managers to allow me to leave. So word would of got out somehow. I was just stupid for being so detailed about it. I'm keeping quiet now and just getting on with my job - which seems to be working in my favour. I also haven't had any interview invites recently, which is in my favour currently too 😂 The next one I have my only response will be "it was okay".
I think it was me being naive and stupid TBH.
Unfortunately due to my contract, I don't get annual leave but scheduled holidays so I can't just book a day off like anyone else would. I had to tell them as I was going for mutiple interviews, and too "many dr apps" would just get silly. This then has to be signed by mutiple Managers to allow me to leave. So word would of got out somehow. I was just stupid for being so detailed about it. I'm keeping quiet now and just getting on with my job - which seems to be working in my favour. I also haven't had any interview invites recently, which is in my favour currently too 😂 The next one I have my only response will be "it was okay".

If possible try and arrange things outside working hours.
When you eventually get a job, then you cna inform them but bring in cakes or have drinks and say thank you personally to the people who you were friends with or helped you. That way you cna leave on good terms.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
If possible try and arrange things outside working hours.
When you eventually get a job, then you cna inform them but bring in cakes or have drinks and say thank you personally to the people who you were friends with or helped you. That way you cna leave on good terms.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I try to arrange interviews for end of the day, or atleast after lunch so I only lose an hour or two off my day.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut from now on.
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I try to arrange interviews for end of the day, or atleast after lunch so I only lose an hour or two off my day.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut from now on.

A lot of it is assessing people and experience on how they react. Ig when you get your job and hand your notice in, then just be respectful to people you leave behind and it could be good terms. Dont emphasise how much you wnat to or look forward to leave or how great your new job is becayse by default that tells your colleagues how rubbish they are and the job is. You see? Its nad for morale to talk too much about leaving when others have to stay.

Drinks or cakes and taking time to say thank you and you appreciate them as colleagues will mean you cna leave on good terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending