The Student Room Group

Single honours vs joint honours

I'll be applying to uni soon and want to do psychology and counselling, and know joint honours can be better for empolablity. However the uni I really want to go to just does straight psychology. This uni is higher ranking and generally better than the one with joint honours. However joint honours can be better. Would it be better to chose the single or joint honours? Advantages, disadvantages? What's more important.. Thank you!
Original post by Ullunna
I'll be applying to uni soon and want to do psychology and counselling, and know joint honours can be better for empolablity. However the uni I really want to go to just does straight psychology. This uni is higher ranking and generally better than the one with joint honours. However joint honours can be better. Would it be better to chose the single or joint honours? Advantages, disadvantages? What's more important.. Thank you!

For most non-psychology jobs it doesn't really matter what your first degree is really in, you just need a 2.i result to get through the first stage of selection. There is a chance that doing it with counselling will look worse to some employers as it may be perceived as a weak subject, however, generally joint honours can be seen as quite positive especially if you learn different relevant skills. I'm not sure what advantages there are if you want to go into counselling or clinical psychology, its definitely not a requirement.
Reply 2
Thank you, very helpful😄

Quick Reply

Latest