Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm desperately looking for a job. However, most jobs have awkward hours because I obviously have sixth form all week. The perfect job would be probably 8 hours, with weekend shifts/flexibility. I obviously want decent pay aswell, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Does anyone know any retail stores/other stores where it would be easy for me to get a job as a 17 year old? Also, are there any good websites for looking for a job?

Thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    I'm desperately looking for a job. However, most jobs have awkward hours because I obviously have sixth form all week. The perfect job would be probably 8 hours, with weekend shifts/flexibility. I obviously want decent pay aswell, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Does anyone know any retail stores/other stores where it would be easy for me to get a job as a 17 year old? Also, are there any good websites for looking for a job?

Thanks in advance!
    Sports Direct might be a good place to think about, as they do 0-hour contracts. Other than that, you should look into waitressing at a cafe as quite often they'll take people on just for the weekends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Sports Direct might be a good place to think about, as they do 0-hour contracts. Other than that, you should look into waitressing at a cafe as quite often they'll take people on just for the weekends
    Thanks for the reply!

Can you tell me what 0 hour contracts mean? Does it mean you can choose how many hours you do or something, and when you do them?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for the reply!

Can you tell me what 0 hour contracts mean? Does it mean you can choose how many hours you do or something, and when you do them?
    It means you choose whether you want to work the shifts offered to you, and the employer isn't obligated to give you any (but at places like Sports Direct there's plenty to go around). It's very flexible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It means you choose whether you want to work the shifts offered to you, and the employer isn't obligated to give you any (but at places like Sports Direct there's plenty to go around). It's very flexible
    Is Sports Direct the only retail store you know of that does this? There are vacancies there but the store is in the neighbouring borough so it's a bit of a trek for a Saturday job lol...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Is Sports Direct the only retail store you know of that does this? There are vacancies there but the store is in the neighbouring borough so it's a bit of a trek for a Saturday job lol...
    Not too sure about others doing 0-hours, as many are phasing it out, but shops within the Arcadia group do 4 hour contracts. Primark also does 4 hours, and Saturday/weekend jobs. As far as I know, Next do 6 hour contracts and I think Tesco do short hour contracts as well

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    restaurants will be weekend evenings but the pay isn't bad their tips and sometimes free food and drink

I would recommend any store's worth making direct contact with so jewellery sellers like pandora, h Samuel and f hinds or goldsmiths

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.