The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
He's guaranteed a starting spot if Neymar leaves and even if he doesn't leave he'll just rotate between two of the midfield spots and the winger spots.

The Sky money went up again this season. Sunderland got more this season than Leicester did last season.

Coutinho is quite inconsistent though which could lead to him being dropped for large parts of the season. If Neymar stays, he'll be competing with Turan and Deulofeu just to be the first choice winger sub. In centre midfield he will be competing for the same spot with Iniesta.

Currently I don't see him getting in. After a few games it's still feasible he gets dropped too.
Original post by Dirtybit
Highly reliable sources say Neymar's entourage offered him to United as well but the Glazers won't agree to paying crazy amounts on one player.

You do right tbh, he'd improve any team but you could spend the money so much more wisely.

Honestly this transfer window has been so mad that I'm ignoring all sources except top tier Liverpool ones.

We haven't heard anything from sources on our side about Coutinho, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. On one hand, there might be nothing to report, on the other hand they might be quiet if it looks like he wants to leave.
Original post by Lúcio
You do right tbh, he'd improve any team but you could spend the money so much more wisely.

Honestly this transfer window has been so mad that I'm ignoring all sources except top tier Liverpool ones.

We haven't heard anything from sources on our side about Coutinho, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. On one hand, there might be nothing to report, on the other hand they might be quiet if it looks like he wants to leave.

If he leaves thoughts on top 4?
Reply 3743
Original post by Diego Costa
The Sky money went up again this season. Sunderland got more this season than Leicester did last season.

Coutinho is quite inconsistent though which could lead to him being dropped for large parts of the season. If Neymar stays, he'll be competing with Turan and Deulofeu just to be the first choice winger sub. In centre midfield he will be competing for the same spot with Iniesta.

Currently I don't see him getting in. After a few games it's still feasible he gets dropped too.

Who is Valverde going to put on as the first choice winger sub, Delofeu, Turan or Coutinho? There's your answer. Who is Valverde going to put on as the first choice CM sub(Coutinho, Rafinha, Denis Suarez or Andre Gomes)?
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Who is Valverde going to put on as the first choice winger sub, Delofeu, Turan or Coutinho? There's your answer. Who is Valverde going to put on as the first choice CM sub(Coutinho, Rafinha, Denis Suarez or Andre Gomes)?

I don't disagree. The point is that £80m is a bit ridiculous for a player who won't be a guaranteed starter (or starter in general). He'd likely just be a super sub and they already have good options.

Without Coutinho we would just lack the creativity.

Don't get me wrong, our other players are great but Coutinho just has that extra spark. He makes things happen and although in general we have a team-based system, he's the one player in there who could just be a match winner for us out of nowhere.

United and City will compete for the title, with Chelsea a little adrift. Spurs are an unknown but I would imagine we'll fight them for 4th.

Everton to battle Arsenal for 6th...

Original post by Lúcio

Don't get me wrong, our other players are great but Coutinho just has that extra spark. He makes things happen and although in general we have a team-based system, he's the one player in there who could just be a match winner for us out of nowhere.

United and City will compete for the title, with Chelsea a little adrift. Spurs are an unknown but I would imagine we'll fight them for 4th.

See I don't think Coutinho is as integral as he used to be. Klopp has worked hard to remove our over-reliance on just one player.

You've got Firmino and Lallana who can harry and get some good goals. We saw how great Mane was last season and Salah's pace will add to that dimension. Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum also got some goals.

No doubt the quality would drop somewhat with no Coutinho but we've seen us play periods without him. Last season when he was out, we still did a good job. Just struggled when Mane was at AFCON and Coutinho wasn't at full fitness.
Original post by Zerforax
See I don't think Coutinho is as integral as he used to be. Klopp has worked hard to remove our over-reliance on just one player.

You've got Firmino and Lallana who can harry and get some good goals. We saw how great Mane was last season and Salah's pace will add to that dimension. Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum also got some goals.

No doubt the quality would drop somewhat with no Coutinho but we've seen us play periods without him. Last season when he was out, we still did a good job. Just struggled when Mane was at AFCON and Coutinho wasn't at full fitness.

It's a difficult one because he's been so freaking clutch for us in games when we've really needed him.

You're right in saying other players can chip in but a fully fit Coutinho is just at another level entirely. I mean I know it's only pre-season but his goal and assist against Leicester was absolutely world class.

Obviously you can never be sure but I'm confident we won't sell him. It just wouldn't make sense in the slightest when we already have the money to buy the targets we want.
Original post by Lúcio

Lol if you guys say so but clutch players are vital to every top team so we'll see.

Nah please don't include United, our team isn't even better than last years side. We'll probably compete for 4th place and finish 4th just about if we're lucky.
Reply 3749
Lol Mourinho and second seasons, I'm even tempted to put a bet in.

I think the younger players such as Martial/Rashford/Bailly and Pogba developing is something that also needs to be noted. As shown by Spurs, team cohesion and player development can go a long way, even if City spend £200M and reconstruct an entirely new XI in 2 months you will need to account for player development.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reports LFC have put a £133m price tag on Coutinho.
Pearce reporting that Liverpool are unchanged in their stance and insist Coutinho is not for sale.

First thing we've heard from out side - basically Barca can go home.
I know we got done for tapping up earlier in the window, but Barcelona take it to a whole new level sometimes...
Lol if you guys say so but clutch players are vital to every top team so we'll see.

Nah please don't include United, our team isn't even better than last years side. We'll probably compete for 4th place and finish 4th just about if we're lucky.

True although you can see in our side that our strength lies in cohesion and chemistry rather than having "match winners" per se. Just saying that Coutinho happens to be great at both so he's irreplaceable for us right now.

Nah, you have too much quality in your side and can't see you having another year of poor chance conversion. I'll just be happy if we can solidify our status as a CL team - can't remember the last time we finished in the top 4 twice in a row...
If Barca get 200 from PSG you'd expect Coutinho to go for around £120mill

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
If Barca get 200 from PSG you'd expect Coutinho to go for around £120mill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rumours suggest we value him at around £130m, won't be suprised if it's even higher. Won't matter if Keita doesn't come to us, for me that deal is the absolute minimum for Coutinho to be leaving and even then it would still be an uphill battle for Barca to get him this season basing off how difficult Leipzig have been with Keita and them rejecting a £66m bid..
Original post by samir12
Rumours suggest we value him at around £130m, won't be suprised if it's even higher. Won't matter if Keita doesn't come to us, for me that deal is the absolute minimum for Coutinho to be leaving and even then it would still be an uphill battle for Barca to get him this season basing off how difficult Leipzig have been with Keita and them rejecting a £66m bid..

We won't sell Coutinho, and the situation between Keita and RBL seems to get worse every day.

Keeping Coutinho and signing Keita and Van Dijk would be absolutely unreal, even if we did spend a ludicrous amount in the process...
Sky reports that Coutinho is willing to take a pay cut to join Barca. What the hell is going on with transfers lol.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Sky reports that Coutinho is willing to take a pay cut to join Barca. What the hell is going on with transfers lol.

Funny because a source close to the player has apparently said he has "absolutely no idea" why the Catalan press are claiming he has asked to leave Liverpool.
Not saying the above is true, but Sky are a terrible source nowadays so I wouldn't even bother mate.

Liverpool's journos have spoken and Coutinho is going nowhere. Absolutely no point taking interest of other sources because they simply aren't reliable.
Original post by Lúcio
Funny because a source close to the player has apparently said he has "absolutely no idea" why the Catalan press are claiming he has asked to leave Liverpool.
Not saying the above is true, but Sky are a terrible source nowadays so I wouldn't even bother mate.

Liverpool's journos have spoken and Coutinho is going nowhere. Absolutely no point taking interest of other sources because they simply aren't reliable.

Well that's a relief. I thought Sky was one of the most reliable sources. I would be devastated if Coutinho left. Last season was a step forward and it would be three steps back... :frown:
Reply 3759
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Well that's a relief. I thought Sky was one of the most reliable sources. I would be devastated if Coutinho left. Last season was a step forward and it would be three steps back... :frown:

Sky's reputation was in the bin after this incident

IMG_1280.JPG

Latest